Faulty tap thread?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I turned off the hot water tap in my bath however when giving the tap one more turn I found that there is no resistance. The tap handle is continuing to turn but clearly is not having any effect. I have not yet tried turning the water back on but I suspect nothing will happen.

Does this mean the tap thread has worn or is there another component that is affected?

The tap is a standard victorian style, with four spokes coming out of the pillar, in a cross shape.

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
Is the spindle that the is/was attached to also turning?

If something has broken then you'll need new tap, but you might get away with a new valve body.

Photo?

The tap handle is continuing to turn. I can't see if anything else is turning as the tap is already tight so the spindle is not exposed. I don't have a photo but it's a standard old-tyle victorian tap with a cross shaped handle.

OK. If you remove the decorative cap on top, is there a screw?

If so, if you undo it and remove the tap handle, are the splines damaged/ruined?

If so, then isolate the supply to the tap, remove the old valve body, take it to your local plumbers' merchant, buy a replacement, and fit it.

Sponsored Links
No idea at the moment...this happened this morning and I am now about 15 miles from the tap! Is it possible that the screw retaining the washer on the spindle has lossened and that I just need a new screw and washer?

Thanks for your help, it's most appreciated!

ParquetGirl said:
Is it possible that the screw retaining the washer on the spindle has lossened and that I just need a new screw and washer?
I think that's wishful thinking, but you'll soon find out!

Thanks for your help, it's most appreciated!
You're most welcome; it's nice to be thanked!

Well, positive thinking is essential at this stage (and at 6 am when the tap is not doing a what a tap should do!)

Will investigate further...watch this space...

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back