faux wood grain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I want to show you my DIY- have done this for first time so pls be tolerant in your comments
first of all- if you want to paint faux wood grains- the easiest way is to buy a suitable tool, read some instruction and go ahead...
I don't like to go for simplicity so have made graining tool myself out of scratches:
have used vinyl floor sheet (3mm thick) to create a mould- first draw lines with a pen, next cut out shapes with razor blade

next stage- on the bottom of my sheet have sticked carpet protectorto make sure if filled area will have flat finish
to fill my mould have used sanitary silicone
and to make it stronger plasterboard joining tape
mould with silicone has been squeezed between 2 plywood sheets, and isolated with dust sheets to prevent silicone from sticking to the board
after 24h I was able to remove carpet protector and next carefully my mould
out of copper pipes created a handle, out of pipe lagging roller, silicone have been trimmed to required size
my ready tool looks like this
to make a test painting:
on spare sheet of plywood- primmer/undercoat
next mixture of water base brownish color
on the end I have used woodstain to create a grains with my tool, when paint dry another thin layer of stain has been applied on the grains to reduce contrast between base coat and my grains, my work has been finished with satin finish clear varnish

I think my tool do the work- now is only a matter of practice and color mixing to obtain better results. If will have more spare time will do more trials and will let you know how my progress go

thanks for your time
Salute
MINDEX

Sponsored Links
great idea with that roller thing, wow:) looks great! it gave me the idea to make patterns on the wall this way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back