Scaffold Board Walkway Choosing Grain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am making a scaffold board walkway and am quite happy with seconds and all their gouges and knocks but it is the variation of colour and grain that is my problem

After treating with wood preserve the first example I have posted has a reddish finish with a pronounced grain while the second is a more muted white with just the stains that I have left showing or I can sand completely down to a white finish with mainly knots and a different faint grain.

I buy them unseen at £5 an 8" length with free delivery so cannot complain about cost and the wood yard will supply what I want if I can tell him the wood I am after.

Can anyone tell me the different wood in the first and second photo Would be a great help with my next order. Thanks

Attachments

• WP_20180803_009.jpg
    WP_20180803_009.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 305
  • WP_20180803_012.jpg
    WP_20180803_012.jpg
    362.4 KB · Views: 294
Sponsored Links
You can usually get a fairly consistent colour using decking oil coloured with wood dye, I use this on my fencing and get consistent results .

Second picture the wood has had more exposure to sunlight and weathering but treatment as foxhole suggests should make it look better.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back