Best Finish for Scaffold Board Desk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am making my own desk using new scaffold board and have decided to go for a Danish oil finish.

Does anyone have experience of applying Danish oil direct to whitewood? Does the oil do much to stain the wood or does the wood keep its natural colour?
Would people recommend staining first and then applying Danish oil if I am wanting more of an oak effect finish?

Sponsored Links
When I did this to a pine dining table, it went distinctly orange.
You will, of course, be testing your intended finish on the bits of scrap you have left over from making the desk.

A couple of things to be aware off: exposed to light whitewood (pine) will naturallygo more yellow, and oil finishes always darken and go more yellow over time - so whatever colour it starts as, it will mellow with time. These arej natural processes

Sponsored Links
A couple of things to be aware off: exposed to light whitewood (pine) will naturallygo more yellow, and oil finishes always darken and go more yellow over time - so whatever colour it starts as, it will mellow with time. These arej natural processes
Good to know, would staining prevent that change from happening then?

Generally timber furniture will be maintained over its life with oils, cleaners and polish to preserve the appearance, and not let it fade to white.

Good to know, would staining prevent that change from happening then?
All timbers change colour to an extent with age - it is partly a reaction to light so unless you keep your furniture in the dark... (incidentally many plastics do as well, particularly white plastics which yellow with age).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back