Waxing old scaffold boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. In the middle of a project working on some old scaffold boards. I had them all sanded down to a fine finish and started to wax them. I am using Ronseal Interior Wax Dark Oak.

I did a test over one side and what I noticed after leaving it to dry, was my once smooth board, is now rough to the touch again. Can anyone explain why that is?

My assumption here is that as I have technically dampened the board, the grain opens and becomes rough again. Therefore am I expected to sand between coats and what about after the final coat? The can says nothing about needing to sand between coats. So a bit perplexed. Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
I've used a scaffold board for a rustic shelf in my utility room and the same thing happened, give it a fine sand and it should be smooth after a couple of coats.

As you suspect the wood has been dampened - as far as I can see ( looking @ the Ronseal site) what you have is a water based product containing wax. A furniture restorer I know uses Briwax and applies it with very fine (000 ? ) steel wool.

Sponsored Links
Thanks 'Vic' - this helps and I know is an option to still wax and get a smooth finish.

Thanks 'Nige' - correct it's a water based wax. Am I making a mistake with that product do you think? Is there something you recommend as a pro?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back