FCU for TV and Sounbar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to install a wall mounted LED tv with a sonos playbar also wall mounted underneath.

As the gap between the TV and the wall is minimal would it be possible to install an FCU (spurred off of a double socket on the ring main) behind the TV with both the TV and Playbar hard wired directly into the single FCU?

If this is not possible what would be the best way to connect both appliances taking into account the small gap between the Tv and the wall?

Many Thanks.

Sponsored Links
It can be done that way, you must firstly confirm the socket you are taking the feed from is not already a spur from the ring final though or even part of multi spur set up from the ring final and check that the fus rating of the FCU is suitable for load and safely protects the equipment.
Buried cable must follow the permitted safe routes and if buried less than 50mm within wall, without mechanical protection, would require 30mA RCD protection if not already existing on circuit.
You could install a switch FCU near the socket outlet, suitable fused for load and cable size, route cable to flex plates and also connect that way.

Plug and socket it best method to connect TV. If you have ever tried to hold a TV while some one wires it you would understand why.

You can use smaller plugs 2 amp 3 pin for example and feed the sockets from a FCU with suitable fuse but where the TV is used in public places it was common to hard wire however TV's did get dropped when trying to hold while some one wires.

Using a switched FCU or RCD FCU to supply a number of sockets was also common so one switch works all. However today you can get socket strips which auto do that anyway.

The 1W limit to stand-by has in the main resulted in no need to use special sockets. Only Sky TV seems not to have gone to this 1W limit. It would seem it needs the LNB to be powered at all times so uses around 10W on stand-by it is the odd one out. My free to air box even when set to auto switch on to record a program uses that little my plug in power use meter will not even record it.

Thanks for your replies.

ericmark, Can you send me a link to the smaller plugs and sockets that I could use. The depth from my tv to the wall is only about 10-15mm therefore Im not sure this solution will work.

Could I run 2.5mm3 cable from the socket which I am spurring from, to behind the TV and then connect a 13amp FCU. Would a 13amp FCU be sufficient to power both my tv and sonos playbar if I was to wire them both directly into the FCU?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back