New Socket off a Switched FCU?

That may be true but, whatever, if he was telling us the truth about the FCU being a spur off the ring, then he would not have had that option open to him, anyway.

They would not have an option to take a second spur, is that what you mean?
But I would also be concerned that the OP does not know the current load rating of the macerator pump or took the trouble to find out! and also is considering taking a 3A feed to 13A sockets and installing this in flex.
Does not sound to me, as being one of any respectable electrical background knowledge.

Sponsored Links
They would not have an option to take a second spur, is that what you mean?
Almost, but not quite. I meant (which I thought what was in your mind when you asked the question) that if the FCU had been on the ring, then he could have taken a ('first') (unfused) spur off the supply side of that FCU for his one new socket. As I think you're implying, if (as we've been told is the case) the FCU were on a spur, he could not take a spur off that spur cable.
But I would also be concerned that the OP does not know the current load rating of the macerator pump or took the trouble to find out!
True - but at least he took the trouble to ask us - and I told him about mine.
and also is considering taking a 3A feed to 13A sockets and installing this in flex.
I don't think there has been any mention of a 3A feed. IIRC, my Sanitop's instructions specified a 5A one, but I've seen macerators that call for 13A ones (maybe because of start-up currents)!
Does not sound to me, as being one of any respectable electrical background knowledge.
Perhaps. I'm not really in the business of (or in a position to, given my own situation :) ) making judgements about people's electrical backgrounds!

Kind Regards, John

Perhaps. I'm not really in the business of (or in a position to, given my own situation :) ) making judgements about people's electrical backgrounds!
I thought you had?
I asked for that - bad phraseology on my part :) I should have written something like "... making critical judgements ...."!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Maybe you can find where the 'spur' is fed from.

Hopefully from a socket.

Perhaps a 13 amp fused spur can be fitted at this point.

This way the 13 amp fused spur can then serve the macerator spur and the new socket.

This way the new socket can be wired to the feed side of the macerator fused spur, in 2.5 mm2 cable.

(Hope you're reading this Venno, that's why I discouraged spurs in your new build.)

Maybe you can find where the 'spur' is fed from.

Hopefully from a socket.

Perhaps a 13 amp fused spur can be fitted at this point.

This way the 13 amp fused spur can then serve the macerator spur and the new socket.

This way the new socket can be wired to the feed side of the macerator fused spur, in 2.5 mm2 cable.

(Hope you're reading this Venno, that's why I discouraged spurs in your new build.)

Good suggestion and something i can check tomorrow. I moved into this property a few weeks ago so still checking out what I have invested my hard earned cash into!

But I would also be concerned that the OP does not know the current load rating of the macerator pump or took the trouble to find out!

Yes, I could well have researched this but using the forum has enlightened me and generated excellent advice and help, which may benefit others in the future. Not sure why it is concerning.

and also is considering taking a 3A feed to 13A sockets and installing this in flex.

Where did you get the 3A feed from? 13 amp fuse is fitted which until i research, I can only presume is the manufacture recommendation.

I was waiting for critical or judgmental comments, from what I can remember this forum is notorious for it! Shame really because others have been very helpful. I really have nothing to prove, but yes, I have an electrical background, well to elaborate a Royal Air Force modern apprenticeship in Electrical Engineering, C&G level 3, 16th Edition, OND, ONC & HNC in Electrical/Electronics but over 10 years ago I chose a new path in international sales within the oil & gas industry and most of my time on the tools is long forgotten. Maybe it's foolish, but I get a thrill from doing what I can round the home even though i could pay YOU to do the job for me.

Maybe you can find where the 'spur' is fed from. ... Hopefully from a socket. ... Perhaps a 13 amp fused spur can be fitted at this point. ... This way the 13 amp fused spur can then serve the macerator spur and the new socket. ... This way the new socket can be wired to the feed side of the macerator fused spur, in 2.5 mm2 cable.
All true, but AFAICS that would only be necessary/useful if the macerator required a fuse smaller than would be adequate for both fuse and new socket - and the OP now says that the macerator currently has a 13A fuse in its FCU. If that 13A fuse is OK for the macerator and, as I said yesterday, that's what some macerators specify), then I don't think that what you suggest would offer any advantage over what the OP has been proposing.

Kind Regards, John

Good suggestion and something i can check tomorrow.
As I've just written in my response to sparkwright, I think what he was proposing would only offer any advantage (over what you were proposing) if you find/feel that you need to change the 13A fuse protecting the macerator to a smaller one. So long as you have a 13A fuse in the macerator's FCU, I don't see that what sparkwright proposed would offer any advantage.

Kind Regards, John

I was waiting for critical or judgmental comments, from what I can remember this forum is notorious for it! Shame really because others have been very helpful.
Unfortunately, you're right, but only on the part of a tiny number of people, and the main perpetrator does not seem to have 'noticed' you yet! It's very unusual for PBoD to be guilty and I presume that his comments were well-intentioned. In fact, it was essentially my fault it happened, since I made a comment about something I would expect you to know 'given your background' - and, as they say, 'the rest is history'.

Whatever, I'm glad that you have found some of the responses helpful!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back