Additional sockets off FCU

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Looking to add 2x two gang mains sockets to a bedroom in a 60's house with solid walls. Lifting carpet/floorboard and chasing walls is not realistic right now so planning to use surface mounted mini trunking and flex (as will need to go round chimney) to add these. Sockets will be mounted and not left floating. Sockets to be used for a portable AC unit (1.1kw/5A), a lamp, clock/radio, and perhaps a phone or toothbrush charger, nothing crazy. AC unit is only used for cooling during summer and not run all the time.

Currently there is a single gang socket on the same wall. It appears to be a spur as there is only one T&E coming into it.
My plan was to convert this to a switched or unswitched FCU with a flex outlet. Run 2.5mm flex into one socket then daisy chain this socket to the next with all flex in mini trunking for neatness. 2.5mm might be slightly overkill on a 13A FCU but it was more for peace of mind given negligible cost difference.

Is there any issues with this?

Alternatively, I could wire a plug onto the end of some 1.5mm flex (I believe that's the max to a 13A plug?), run the flex from plug to first two gang then more flex to the next, all in trunking and sockets mounted as above. This isn't ideal because the intention is to put wardrobes near this socket which may cover it. Thickness of the socket+plug will be greater than that of the FCU with flex outlet on bottom meaning if wardrobes do cover the socket, they won't be able to be pushed flush with skirting.

Having read around either option should be fine I believe but my preference is toward using an FCU.

Appreciate any feedback.
Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
No, if it is the only socket on the spur.
Anyway to find out without physically tracing cables?
Bought the house 2 years ago and it was certified in 2016 - no mention of concerns except no earth on lighting circuit up and down.

Anyway to find out without physically tracing cables?
Not really.
If nearest socket has three cables it might indicate it is and would allow testing - by disconnecting.

Bought the house 2 years ago and it was certified in 2016 - no mention of concerns except no earth on lighting circuit up and down.
I don't think that means anything in this situation.

Not really.
If nearest socket has three cables it might indicate it is and would allow testing - by disconnecting.
Ah perfect. Only one other two gang in the same room and believe it does have three (will double check)

I don't think that means anything in this situation.
Thought I'd mention it to be thorough.

Thanks for the quick and helpful responses!

What is the rating of the fuse/MCB on the circuit?

If 30/32A then as above; if 20A then number of sockets doesn't matter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back