RCD FCU

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the bedroom I have a wall mounted AC unit, its a small unit and runs from the mains. Problem is the nearest mains outlet is behind a cupboard. I intend to run a length of flex from the socket (connected via a 3 pin plug) and then connect to an RCD protected FCU somewhere close to the AC unit then from that to the AC unit. The reason being I want a safer means of isolation than the hidden socket outlet.

Question is it ok to connect to this RCD protected FCU from a socket outlet using a 3 pin plug. Normally I would just spur from it but its chased in and would take forever to make right.

Sponsored Links
Hi councillor

Not sure why you didn’t receive any response to this post. But I have a spare minute so here goes.

The setup you describe wouldn’t be considered “conventional,” as far as a fixed wiring installation is concerned. In fact I wouldn’t consider it fixed wiring either because you can still unplug the extension from the socket behind the cupboard.

The only problem I can see would be discrimination between the two BS1362 fuses. Other than that I can’t see a problem with it myself!

V

BTW FYI the BS1362 fuses are the ones in the plug top and the FCU!

What sort of wattage is this AC unit? Can't remember the threshold at which all fixed heating and cooling appliances have to be supplied from dedicated circuits, and not just any ring/radial final circuit, as you are proposing.

Besides, it is best practice to run AC units on a dedicated supply, regardless of power consumption levels.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back