FCU on 2-gang faceplate?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone makes a standard 13 A unswitched FCU to fit a 2-gang surface-mounted socket?

A muppet helpfully placed the second (of only two) wall sockets inside a wardrobe (at floor level... right at the back... so you have to open the wardrobe and get down on your hands and knees to use it). I've been contemplating moving or blanking it, but then thought about changing it to an FCU and adding two new sockets instead.

However... it was probably the same muppet who did the walls and I've been bitten here before when changing sockets. Potentially, removing the 2-gang back box will mean I have nowhere to fix a single box to without significant effort. I already had to plaster and redecorate one wall in that house to sort out a similar mess.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Don't forget, you need the correct grid frame...

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_I...index.html#MK_Logic_Plus_Grid_Mounting_Frames

...which the modules mount into, then the front plates that I linked to above, go on at the end.

Gaz :)

edit: Only just realised you said "surface mounted". This system isn't strictly designed for surface boxes, but they will still work. When you screw on the mounting frame to the back box, don't screw them in all the way tight (you'll see why when you offer up the front plate afterward). Leave them undone a bit, then when you tighten up the front plate screws to the mounting plate, it will pull it all up tight together. The depth that you need to leave the mounting plate screws 'undone' will vary depending on the back box, so a little trial and error will be needed to get it spot on.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks Gaz.

If nothing else, it's something new for me to "play" with. (y) I'd heard "grid switches" and "grid wiring" mentioned before, but didn't realise this is what it is. I'd certainly take some trial-and-error screwing over redecorating any day.

They look pretty smart too. Is there any advantage/disadvantage in using them instead of grid systems? Aside from the availability of a socket module.

They look pretty smart too. Is there any advantage/disadvantage in using them instead of grid systems? Aside from the availability of a socket module.
Not a lot of difference IMO - "Euro Modules" are essentially a type of grid system. They are arguably simpler to install (essentially no different from any other accessory, once modules are attached to the faceplate), and have the advantage of a much wider variety of modules' (not just the socket module, but data/telephone sockets etc. etc.).

Kind Regards, John

Cheers John.

I am tempted by those - even though I don't really need anything fancy in this particular case. However, I am a big fan of BG's wall sockets with USB chargers (have fitted them almost everywhere) so almost inclined to go for that just because they made it. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back