FCU question?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If a fused connection unit was wired correctly, but the live and earth to the appliance, ie immersion heater, were the wrong way round, and no rcd was installed on the circuit, would the mcb/fuse at the c.u. trip due to the earth and live touching inside the fcu?

Sponsored Links
no of course, I just woondered after hearing about the wash machine fault that killed a guy. It scared me, left me wondering if my house is all safe and wired correctly. I've been living here for over 10 years, but things like this make you worry. Is there anything you can do to make sure every socket/spur etc in your home is safe, any simple check a homeowner can do?

Sponsored Links
no of course, I just woondered after hearing about the wash machine fault that killed a guy. It scared me, left me wondering if my house is all safe and wired correctly. I've been living here for over 10 years, but things like this make you worry. Is there anything you can do to make sure every socket/spur etc in your home is safe, any simple check a homeowner can do?
There are tests to determine if polarity is correct.

If you don't have the proper equipment then a socket tester will check the most important connections but not everything.

I was going to buy a socket tester but haven't got one at the moment. They wouldn't work on fused connection unit's though would they?

If I called a qualified electrician in, would they be able to test all my electrics for safety from the main consumer unit to check all circuits are safe, correct and all earthed ok? What price would I expect to pay if all was ok and it was a routine check? Thanks for helping

Yes, that is now called an 'Electrical Installation Condition Report'.

To test every circuit and outlet would, for an average property, take all day so the cost would be a day's rate - £200 ?
It requires disconnecting each circuit from the consumer unit and removal of each appliance.

There have been threads on here where some have had the job done for forty pounds so I leave it to you to decide which is correct.

is this the same as a landlord has to have done for their electrical report every 2 years I believe??

If I called a qualified electrician in, would they be able to test all my electrics for safety from the main consumer unit to check all circuits are safe, correct and all earthed ok? What price would I expect to pay if all was ok and it was a routine check? Thanks for helping

They would test both at the consumer unit and at a number of selected points all around the house.

Ask for an Electrical Installation Condition Report. The report will detail what is dangerous, what should be improved and anything other points of note.

Price depends on how big your house is. Probably around ^£200. It should be around half a day on site plus time to prep the report.

is this the same as a landlord has to have done for their electrical report every 2 years I believe??
Landlords are not legally bound to do anything as far as testing is concerned but have a duty of care to ensure everything is safe.

However, they would be in trouble if something went wrong and someone was injured.

ok thanks for your advice. This might sound daft but is there any title or card or logo you should look for when calling in an electrician, like with boiler's you ask to see gas safe card, etc.

Not really,

Usual advice is to get three quotes but as I have said the cheapest may be no good.

ELECSA, NICEIC, and NAPIT are the registration bodies who inspect their members.

An electrician who inspects should have 'Professional Indemnity' insurance.

ok thanks! What does a landlord electrical safety check consist of out of interest?
Probably just a visual check or you could stipulate whatever you wanted.

However, as I said, there is no such thing as a 'Landlords Electrical Safety Check'.

Landlords do not have to check the electrics - unlike gas.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back