Feasibilty of moving the kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm hoping to buy this property. I've now go this idea of moving the kitchen to the front of the house so that I can knock down the partition (see picture) and have an open living room looking into the garden.

Unfortunately I start to realise that it might be just a dream when I consider the costs and practicalities. I'm not concerned about the installing the kitchen units and taking down the partition. The issue is the plumbing.

I'm assuming the biggest challenge would be to relocate the combi in which case and to keep the costs down, I can leave it since it's tucked into the corner anyway. This leaves the gas, water and drainage pipes. The floor is concrete. Is it a case of chasing one big channel for all the pipes? I know it's not as simple as running them under floorboards especially after reading about the corrosion of copper pipes when in contact with concrete.

I really got excited about this idea as it's something I've always wanted and I know I can do a lot of it myself but when it comes to plumbing, I prefer to leave it to the pros but if this plumbing is going to cost me a fortune then my idea is scuppered.

Is it just a case of deciding where the gas hob, oven and sink will go then making a big fat channel along the floor? How much extra would it cost to move the combi?

If you can help me with any ideas and costs I would really appreciate it.

Sponsored Links
It's pointless asking for costs.

But your biggest hurdle will be drainage.

Which you haven't marked on the drawing.

Judging from your post, I now know that it's probably not possible but:
Why can't the drain/soil pipe follow the rest of the pipes back to the original point?

Thanks for your help.

Because you need a 1:40 fall. Making it likely to be uneconomical depending on the depth of the termination point that far away.

Is there nothing near the new location?

Sponsored Links
Without knowing more about the building, I would say that it is likely that you will need an RSJ or other structural aid if you want to remove the partition as it is probably supporting the floor above.

The only drainage close would be the down pipe for the gutter next to the front window which I share with the neighbour. Do regulations permit that or is it not practical anyway?

Is it a case of finding out where the drains are located outside and even then does it have to be a certain drain?

I'm trying to find a website that explains enough to give me a better idea of what's involved so I don't sound like a total idiot!

The wall where I would like the kitchen to be is a party wall. I think I would have liked to have the sink on the island cabinet. I'm assuming that would make it much harder?

Thanks again.

The only drainage close would be the down pipe for the gutter next to the front window which I share with the neighbour. Do regulations permit that or is it not practical anyway?
Rainwater is usually a separate system. Even if not, there is rather more involved than just shoving a new pipe in there.

Is it a case of finding out where the drains are located outside and even then does it have to be a certain drain?
Yes, it must be the correct one, additional underground drains will almost certainly be required, and all of it must be installed properly.

The work you propose also requires building control notification.

Given the issues already involved, a sink on an island unit won't make much difference - it's likely to be expensive and difficult either way.

First of all, the word bugger comes to mind as I see my dream slipping further away!

I can also now see why not many households do this; expense!

I know it's already been said about quoting prices being pointless but surely and to push my dream further away from me, some guesstimates could be given based on a "typical" post-war semi-detached property. Has anyone done a job or paid for a job that involved putting in a sink on the other side of the property? More than £1000 but less than £3000 perhaps?

Would there really be no way to use the existing drainage at the back? The house has a nice block paving shared driveway so I don't think the my new neighbour would appreciate that being dug up! I don't mean is it something I can do. There's many things a DIY enthusiast shouldn't attempt and I know drainage is at the top of the list with nuclear waste disposal.

If this helps in anyway, here a photo of the front of the house:

Thanks.

Without knowing more about the building, I would say that it is likely that you will need an RSJ or other structural aid if you want to remove the partition as it is probably supporting the floor above.

I hope to remove just the kitchen partition which is just plasterboard and leave the rest (hallway) although I am tempted to take the rest! I've seen a photo of a similar property where someone has done that and you're right; they have a nice white column just about where the kitchen starts. Thanks.

We moved our bathroom from the back to the front of the house. Initially every plumber we asked for a quote said either it couldn't be done or would be ridiculously expensive. Then I got the Building Reg's bloke to com and see what we need. He then liaised with a draftsman to draw up plans for building regs, total cost £150 + the building permission fees.
Job all done for less than £1000 not including fittings.
So try asking your local Building Inspector for his opinion, after all asking cost nothing.

We moved our bathroom from the back to the front of the house. Initially every plumber we asked for a quote said either it couldn't be done or would be ridiculously expensive. Then I got the Building Reg's bloke to com and see what we need. He then liaised with a draftsman to draw up plans for building regs, total cost £150 + the building permission fees.
Job all done for less than £1000 not including fittings.
So try asking your local Building Inspector for his opinion, after all asking cost nothing.

Thanks very much for that! I will give the council a ring tomorrow and hear what they say.

Update!

How about Saniflo!

I thought Saniflo was only for toilets but I've seen this recommended somewhere else and Saniflo states:

"As the function of the units is to pump waste and water away, it should not usually be necessary to dig up the floor to lay the discharge pipework. It is possible to run the pipework from low level to a higher level e.g. from a basement to ground floor level, or from 1st floor up into a roofspace and then join to a soil stack."

Is Saniflo more trouble than it's worth?

If I can't use Saniflo then I think I've now realised that unless I am able to run the waste pipe without digging up outside such as running it under the concrete floor to the original drain then this project is dead.

I'm now also wondering if I can simply run the hot & cold pipes from the bathroom upstairs, along under the floorboards and down the wall where I want the kitchen. Could I not do this for the gas pipe too? I won't need to cut into the concrete floor at all!

Are there reasons why this is a bad idea or unworkable?

Thanks again and hope you can help...again.

Saniflo is the work of Satan's evil step sister.

When she had full blown PMT, and discovered that her husband had been having it doggy doggy with Mary Magdalene.

I would rather was up in the gutter than consider one of those.

The French and sanitary equipment do not make natural bed fellows, and the Saniflo is the perfect demonstration of this.

Check whether your drains are separate or not. If your rain water runs into the main sewer then you can use that for the kitchen waste. I would say they are judging the age of the house. stick a running hose at the bottom of the down pipe, lift the main sewer lid and see if the water runs into it or not. If you see the water, turn hose off check to see it stops wa la :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back