Moving Sink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The house we are moving into has a galley kitchen (3.75m x 1.9m), the galley is so narrow that we are going to put a new kitchen in and only place units on one side. Unfortunately the sink will need to move to the other side of the galley (about 1m). My problem is how to get the hot/cold water and waste across the galley. The floor is solid. Is is ok to chase in a channel into the floor and cross in this way?

I read on the forum that a 1:40 drop is needed with a 40mm pipe for the waste and you need to insulate the pipe work before covering the pipes with concrete. I guess I will have to be careful of the DPC....

An alternative would be to route around the side of the room but there is a door in the way.....any ideas?

Thanks for help.

Sponsored Links
I guess I should be looking at whether you can route through a solid floor in the same way as if the solid floor were not already laid and I was going to lay it fresh......is that right?

Does the same apply for the gas, I forgot that will need to move across the galley as well.

Do you have any idea how deep the concrete will be (1950's house), would I be far enough away from the DPC?

THanks

only way to see depth of screed is to do a small pilot hole somewhere hidden . Could be 22mm onto concrete or , more normally 50- 75 mm . DPC is usually under the concrete , not under the screed :idea: That Flippin 1: 40 comes from a "Rule of Thumb " for 4 inch Drainage Pipes -Underground. Likewise 1:60 for 6 inch. if you have to lay a Waste nearly flat ...just make plenty of access points for cleaning :idea:

Sponsored Links
Is 40mm the right size pipe? Could I run dishwasher and sink waste through same pipe?

THanks

Indeed that would be the sensible thing to do. You can get a sink waste trap that does just this.
It could be posible to route the water pipes up, through the ceiling void and down, if you prefer.
John :)

Regarding going up and over, is this viable for the gas supply as well?

On a related topic, do you know if you can route water pipes/waste behind floor mounted ovens (I read somewhere that this a not good practice).

Regarding the gas supply, I can't see that being a problem but only an RGI could really answer that one.
As for a waste running behind a cooker, preferably at low level, that should be ok too so long as it doesn't get in the way of the cooker...it should be cool down there anyway.
John :)

Are there any downsides to running the pipes up and over using the ceiling space vs within the floor? I was thinking about maybe water pressure?
Thanks James

I've now dug the channel in the concrete floor across the kitchen floor to facilitate repositioning of the water\waste\gas services (a plumber is doing this work).
The photo shows the channel (you can also see the old gas pipe):

There is about 100mm of concrete overlying the earth and then 10mm of black stuff and then the old floor tiles. What do you think this black stuff is? I cannot figure out whether it is something to do with the damp course, self levelling compound (doubt it) or tile adhesive (seems a bit thick). I obviously want to make sure that I reinstate anything that I have just demolished.

Thanks in advance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back