Feed and Vent side by side?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone give me a steer please on best position of the feed pipe and the Vent pipes for an open vented CH system?
I appreciate that each needs to be on the same side of the pump so as to ensure water doesn't get pumped out of the vent but is it acceptable, from a good design perspective, to have both conections side by side on either the flow or return and is an air separator advisable?
I have read lots of the postings on this site and a number of books on CH design but this point is never very clear so would appreciate your real world advice please.
Cheers

Sponsored Links
I found this link useful when I was chasing Air problems in my system.

http://www.fernox.com/?cccpage=air_in_CHS&sub=3

It says from left to right Boiler, Open Vent, Cold Feed, Pump. (Flow Side)

I've fitted mine not more than 4inches apart, the important thing is the order to maintain balance when the pump is switched off and prevents air being sucked in vent when starting again. At least that's how I understand it.

As for air separators i'd be interested know myself??

Ideally a closed couple arrangement should be used. The open vent and cold feed no further apart than 150mm. Then the pump fitted after the cold feed connection. Any other config would result in ingress of air or pumping over. The cold feed acts a s a neutral point.

If as described above the pump will give positive pressure, if the pump is fitted for example before the cold feed, the system would be under negative pressure and thus sucking in air from micro leaks/open vent and cause corrosion/sludge/gas/air problems.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back