feed/return on radiator - which side

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A dumb question I'm sure, but when I know the answer - I'll know for sure.
Does it matter which side the feed enters the c/h radiator, or is it interchangeable, my *guess* is that it doesn't matter.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Your guess is correct, and as and extra, most TRV's are bi directional, so can go either side as well.

Ooh...can i jump in and ask;
if i'm adding a rad to a dual pipe system, again does it not matter which side of the new rad i put the TRV on?
the rad i'm tee'ing off has a pressure gauge on the pipe before it goes into the rad. It's this tee to the new rad that i want the TRV on.
I'm assuming this is the flow seeing as it has the combi boiler pressure gauge connected to it?

Bi directional TRV's can go either end. I don't understand your comment regarding a pressure gauge on a pipe feeding a rad? :?:

Sponsored Links
Bi directional TRV's can go either end. I don't understand your comment regarding a pressure gauge on a pipe feeding a rad? :?:

We have a rad in our airing cupboard and sometime in the past a plumber has put a pressure gauge on the pipe leading from the loft (presumably directly from the boiler) to the rad. There's also a filling loop in there too so i'm guessing they were installed there to avoid climbing into the loft every farts end to check water pressure and fill or empty water from the system (combi boiler)?

So, if the pressure gauge is indeed a remote gauge then i'm assuming that feed in the flow.

That make any sense?

Sorry to hijack the thread btw. :)

Yes makes sense, although it may not necessarily be on the flow pipe, as it can be on the return. Makes no difference.

Although rad valves are bi directional trvs should be on the flow and lockshields on the return that way you get the correct flow into and out of a rad.
But systems arent usually set up exact so wont make much difference but some bidirectional can be noisy when on the return

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back