Feeling electricity in water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I feel electricity in the water in the bathroom, we had work done 2 years ago and the earth ground wire was cut off. we never had any problems until recently. Does the problem come from that cut wire?

Sponsored Links
What ground wire, was cut. And where??

You should not be able to "feel" electricity anywhere in your house. If you can, you should get an electrician to check it out, it could be dangerous.

What ground wire, was cut. And where??

You should not be able to "feel" electricity anywhere in your house. If you can, you should get an electrician to check it out, it could be dangerous.

sorry for being ignorant but something to do with ground earth?

Could have been an old earth rod for an old TT system. We need photos of your cutout and meter position please to see what earthing system you have. However I recommend getting an electrician in tommorow and not using the shower or bath in the mean time.

Sponsored Links
I feel electricity in the water in the bathroom ...
Can you explain what you mean by 'feel electricity'? What sort of sensations are you experiencing, and in what circumstances?

As others have said, you need to get an electrician to check this out.

Kind Regards, John

I feel electricity in the water in the bathroom ...
Can you explain what you mean by 'feel electricity'? What sort of sensations are you experiencing, and in what circumstances?

As others have said, you need to get an electrician to check this out.

Kind Regards, John

its a tingling sensation, if we wear rubber sandals we do not feel anything

Could have been an old earth rod for an old TT system. We need photos of your cutout and meter position please to see what earthing system you have. However I recommend getting an electrician in tommorow and not using the shower or bath in the mean time.

Sorry for being ignorant but what is earthing system, also can humidity and moisture on the copper pipes and surrounding cause this?

Do you have electric underfloor heating in the bathroom?

Do you still feel the tingling when it is switched off?

You say
we had work done 2 years ago and the earth ground wire was cut off
Electrical work? What was the work done? It will be described on the installation certificate that you will have got when the work was completed.

its a tingling sensation, if we wear rubber sandals we do not feel anything
For any electric shock. from a tingle to a FATAL shock there has to be two points of contact.

The water is one and your feet appear to be the other as insulating the feet prevents the tingle.

If the floor is only damp then the amount of current that can flow will be limited to that that creates a tingle, if it becomes wet then much more current could flow and that could be enough to give a LETHAL shock.

Insulating your feet is NOT the answer, finding out URGENTLY why the floor or the water has a voltage on it is essential for your safety.

Electric-Shock-Work-Injury-Claim1.jpg

As a matter of interest, has anyone here ever been involved with one of these "tingles from water" etc. situations in which a cause was found and rectified?

Kind Regards, John

I had a similar issue a while ago. The householder had (himself) installed some of that carbon film UFH stuff without the required earthed metal shield/grid on top. Was induced voltage through the tiles, his wet body and to the water which was at earth(ish) potential.

No RCD on the UFH circuit either. :rolleyes:
Condemmed the lot, needed ripping out and doing properly.

That's why I asked
Do you have electric underfloor heating in the bathroom?

and also

Electrical work? What was the work done?
Had no answer to those easy questions. I hope the OP has had an electrician in and is not now having to carry out CPR on his family.

Yes daughter in law was really worried and I went up to sort it out. Everything was RCD protected and my son had a full test set so sure the RCD was going to trip at 30 mA in 40 ms but whole house was being rewired and there was an array of extension leads.

Fault was a broken earth wire in an extension lead and correcting did not trip the RCD.

She was getting a shock when she touched the caravan to get in and out but I could not feel anything myself.

In hind sight I would say no real danger but I was not going to take the chance.

Sizewell 'B' was another reports of sparks coming from the tower crane hook this crane was at the time tallest in Europe. The whole structure was steel and power was 415 volt three phase to a auto transformer then 380 volt to crane. Reported sparks 1/2 inch long. We tested everything we could think of but no faults found but also we saw the sparks from the hook so no silly woman and panic attack there were clearly sparks from the hook but only when the crane was in line with the wind. We came to the conclusion it was static from the wind.

We read about Emma Shaw and clearly there are times when there is a very real danger and every time we have to investigate.

We we told in college the story about an electrician and a central heating boiler where he put a lose green wire onto a earth spade and it seems it was the normally closed contact of the on/off switch so with the boiler on no problem only when switched off was there a line wire connected to earth. Not sure if real or made up by lecturer but it would seem he tested with everything switched on so found no fault. Court said had he not been called to home because of a shock it would have been considered and an accident but since before the death he had been called to check as mild shock had been received then considered as manslaughter. This was pre-internet so no way to verify the story.

But in essence what he was saying everyone can make a mistake but once any one highlights the possibility there is a fault then it becomes negligent not simply a mistake.

So if some one from "londoniese" family is now electrocuted when he has declared he thinks there is a problem he would likely face manslaughter charges for not doing something to rectify the problem. But if a family member was electrocuted without some warning signs then he would not face any charges.

I clearly hope nothing goes wrong and it turns out to be something like with my daughter in law but now he has posted on here he has no option but to get an electrician there is no other option.

Daft as it may seem proving AOK is harder than finding a fault.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back