Felt adhesive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Long story short: smallish flat roof (15-20 m²) needs semi-temporary repair to last about 3 years.
Current situation: poorly installed bitumen felt, partially 'dried out' by summer sun as it was not the UV proof version and not properly covered with shingle.
I'm planning to add one layer of UV resistant bitumen felt. Several reasons why I don't really want to use a burner here, and would rather use adhesive.
Q1: are there any reasons not to use adhesive for a job that only needs to last 3 years?
Q2: are there any brands that really should be avoided or are decidedly better than others?

Tia,

Ben

Sponsored Links
If the roof only needs uv protecting seal roof with a fibre based Acropol this will also waterproof as well .

Sponsored Links
As above exactly.

My limited experience of quick, cheap fixes, just for the time being is that they never seem to get replaced - just left to rot and are forgotten about.

FWIW: In time, rotting flat roofs can be dangerous.

Last edited:
With all due respect guys, the basic question was if there are any bitumen adhesives that are particularly good or particularly bad to use as a solution where using a flame really isn't such a great idea.

any sealant with fibres, I would suggest using a reflective paint on solution. Cut out any loose felt.

I personally wouldn't add felt as this could complicate matters, keep it simple in case you have to give it more attention.

any sealant with fibres...
Cheers dude, fibrous sealant it is.
keep it simple in case you have to give it more attention.
t won't need more attention, it will be done properly when the funds have been replenished. Tiled roof has just been done so the coffers are now empty. Next summer will see some woodwork done that should have been done 5 years ago. The year after that the flat roof and bathroom will be sorted.
I personally wouldn't add felt as this could complicate matters..."
Interesting. My simple mind thought: clean existing bitumen, make sure it's dry, brush on the adhesive, roll felt on top of that.
What did I miss?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back