Felt shingles / drip edge / playhouse / shed roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone I am building a playhouse for my daughter and I am going to use Armourglass IKO shingles. The installation instructions ask for drip edge profile to be installed first with the underlay.

The confusing thing is a IKO video on youtube doesn't even mention the drip edge the guy in the video just folds the underfelt over the edge. Maybe because its a uk video. The problem is I cant find this shingle drip edge anywhere in the UK can anyone help please. Or maybe I don't need it I dunno any other suggestions very welcome.

Americans use a lot of shingles and always use drip edge profile I have watched and read countless videos on youtube showing rotten wood because people didn't use drip edge at the edge of the shingles something, to do with capiliary action water traveliing back up behind the felt and wetting the ply underneath. Is using drip edge with shingles not practice in the UK ?

USA Video shingles (with drip edge)
[/youtube]

Sponsored Links
B & Q have a section with right angled aluminium. Thats basically all it is. 50mm will serve the purpose.

Hi all, we are looking at roofing a building but is it essential for a drip strip when using the tile strips?
we were looking at some called bardoline from http://www.onduline-roofing-sheets....iles/bardoline-classic-tile-strips-slate.html which look good but there is fitting instruction on there which mention the drip strip but surely a strip of roofing membrane would do the same job so long as it was slightly longer than the boarding??

Sponsored Links
I'm in the process of building a shed / playhouse and have bought some drip edge from ebay. Looks like a good way to secure the felt around the edges and also end up with a nice neat finish. However, I have seen conflicting advice with regards to fitting. Sense suggests that it shold go under the felt at the bottom of the slope, and over the felt on the edges up and over the top. This would allow water to run down the roof, and not get caught in the lip that would be created if the drip edge was on top of the felt at the base of the roof felt.

Make sense ? Is this the way it should be done ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back