Drip edge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am desperate for some advice>

I have recently laid a felt roof on a single storey extension (it's my first attempt) but have found that the drip edge isn't wide enough and consequently when it rains water runs down behind the guttering. The drip edge was formed using a 34mm timber batten. Top felt was nailed to the batten and then folded back on to the roof before the top layer of felt was laid. Is there anything which can be fixed to the existing drip edge to stop this from happening.

Sponsored Links
The guttering is around 5mm from the underside of the drip edge. Having looked at it again the drip edge may only project 20-25mm into the gutter. I've been considering a couple ideas but not sure if they would work. These include gluing a 100mm piece of felt on to the face of the drip edge and allowing it to run into the gutter. I've also considered fixing a UPVC right angle on the underside of the drip edge.

Other than getting it right in the first place, I can't help but think that there must be a better solution than those i have thought of. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Hi From that which you described luck is not in your favour. I have come across the tracking back of water on several occasions, and used various methods to overcome. Although far from good practise i would slip gutter out and hang a bead of silicon type material along the bottom edge of the drip . You may get another 6 mm extension to the drip, once the gutter is back in place the addition will be hidden.
Good luck

Sponsored Links
Why don't you just get a strip of lead/DPC/flashband or whatever, and tuck this against the fascia under the drip and drape it into the gutter? :rolleyes:

Thank you for your advice. I've raised the guttering so it is as close to the drip edge as possible and have water tested it but the problem remains. I will try to add a mastic bead to the drip edge over the weekend as there is insufficient space to fix dpc/lead etc to the facia board and drape it into the gutter.

Many thanks again.

So basically, the drip face is not deep enough :?: If you were capable of installing a drip in the first place, why not do it again......properly :?:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back