Fence build advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking for some tips on building some featheredge fencing which I will be doing soon now the weather is improving.

This is to replace one fence that is currently dilapidated and another bit that needs more privacy than the gappy fence that is there now.

Bits that I'm unsure of from looking online:

If I use gravel boards along the bottom (wooden), say 15mm thick or so, are these attached to the posts?

I thought the feathered slats sat on top of the gravelboard, but if they are attached to the posts the slats would protrude further as the rails would be 38mm that the slats are attached to. Or is this fine and the gravel boards sit in behand the slats as some is on sloped ground so that might be easier anyway as would be difficult to get flush if they rested on the board? But by the same token if the gravel boards needed replaced like this then it would be difficult to get them out! Another way would be to put a small peace of rail on the post and attached the gravel board to that so it sits out level with the slats to sit on?!

Or should i just not bother with gravel boards?

As you can tell I'm overthinking that bit and getting confused!

Also the for the rails, would you screw these to the post rather than nail? I worry that battering these in with nails could weaken the strength of the post in the postcrete?

Finally the top coping/rail - is that attached to the top fence rail or just the top of the slats?

Sorry for the rambling! If there's an online guide anyone is aware of that would be great!

Sponsored Links
Thanks I just prefer the look of wood and also don’t want the stepped look of panels.

I saw this chat which had some pics posted of a similar project within it-does that look like a good job to copy?!

Sponsored Links
Thanks I just prefer the look of wood and also don’t want the stepped look of panels.

I saw this chat which had some pics posted of a similar project within it-does that look like a good job to copy?!

You can use treated wood instead of concrete gravel boards, depending on the ground around your fence.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back