Fence decision

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My other project I am mulling over. The guys who did our garden project 2 years put in these cedar batons but then used nails that have leaked/rusted or the nail gun used some form of lubricant. It just looks terrible with these rust patches. I looked at the other side of the batons and it's a similar problem so I can't just turn them over. I've tried find sandpapering out the marks but that doesn't work.

I'm thinking of replacing them and then using stainless steel nails (?) which won't leak. I need 35 cedar batons of 3.90m x 2cn x 5cm and 35 of 4.60m x 2cm x 5cm which won't be cheap though.

Thoughts welcome.

Matt

Attachments

• 20230909_185611.jpg
    20230909_185611.jpg
    600 KB · Views: 64
Sponsored Links
longer term you absolutely need stainless steel nails in there.
After you have changed the nails then oxalic acid will remove the (ink) discolouration.
If you dont change the nails you will need to remove the discolouration every year.

The staining is so bad that I don't think it will get any worse now. New panels would set me back 1500 quid I think so not an untidy sum. So I remove the panels, apply oxalic acid to the wood and then renail with stainless steel nails? Will the acid work or leave a different type of 'scar' in the wood?

The oxalic acid converts the iron tannins (ink) into a clear chemical, you would never know it had been black. It is usually used to clear the black staining on oak objects, also works well on pine.
You should be able to treat in situ I would have thought, except for any rain showers cutting short the change by diluting the treatment.

Sponsored Links
That is really interesting thank you. So I could remove baton by baton, treat the black stains with acid and then immediately renail with some stainless steel nails? Big job or little job? Either way cheaper than 1500 quid for new batons.

So something like this and rub it in with the steel wool also shown lower down?

I bought a kilo of pure oxalic acid for about the same price as that, mix as required, keep away from pets children and food as it is toxic.

I bought a kilo of pure oxalic acid for about the same price as that, mix as required, keep away from pets children and food as it is toxic.
Thanks. Immediate effect then as soon as it dries and then renail? No scarring?

I has done its stuff even before it dries, it reacts with the iron/tannin blue complex and makes it transparent.
The same blue/blackdye is one of the secrets in the "1000 year ink" used for marriages/births/deaths.

I has done its stuff even before it dries, it reacts with the iron/tannin blue complex and makes it transparent.
The same blue/blackdye is one of the secrets in the "1000 year ink" used for marriages/births/deaths.
Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back