Fence in Windy Location

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am thinking of erecting a 6' high fence (5' panels plus 1' gravel board) constructed of concrete posts and vertilap panels. The thing is, it is in quite an exposed (hence potentially windy) location. I have been advised by one person to use 9' posts so that I can bury 3' in the ground. Do you think this is right or will I get away with 8' posts and plenty of ballast mix?

Also has anyone got any other ideas for a fence in a windy location.

Any help appreciated.
Perksy

Sponsored Links
you could always use a narrower gravel board, but if not at leat 1/3 rd should be in the ground. its not the mix it is the leverage you can get that is the problem.

Friend of mine has concrete posts and slot in panels, when its windy its hunt the fence panel, or oh sorry neighbour this one is yours now where is mine?

They do have a tendancy to bow, enough so that the edges are no longer supproting them. I would suggest you use them little metal brackets flattened out and screwed to the post and panel too

If total privacy is not essential, don't use solid panels, go for something that will let the wind through. Work with the wind, not against it, and the fence will last a lot longer.

Sponsored Links
Have you considered building a traditional fence with featheredge panels. You need a post at 6 foot intervals with two or three 4x2 rails and feather nailed vertically to it, this could give strength against the wind. I built this in my garden which is a wind trap and when we had the high winds last year all fences were down aprt from mine. Bit more expensive but longer lasting. Good Luck
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back