Fence or cheap alternative

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a small space at the back of my garden with a mesh wire separating my garden from the house behind me. There are two concrete posts in this area which are awfully close.

The space itself is the size of the length of two breeze blocks. I am not sure if a fence will fit and stay or should I just use some breeze blocks to build a 5ft wall.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
-Can you post a photo?
-A fence would take up less space than a wall
-Why not plant an evergreen climber?

-Can you post a photo?
-A fence would take up less space than a wall
-Why not plant an evergreen climber?

Here you go. I have placed some blocks to give an idea of the space involved.

20210615-185637.jpg

Sponsored Links
Who owns the fence posts?

For cheapness, a fence. I'd try to avoid drilling into the posts as this will encourage water penetration and may start a crack. Being so small, you could make it with shiplap, featheredge or decking boards laid horizontally, you can treat them before assembly for long life, especially the cut edges. If you own the back fence you could stain it the same colour.

A concrete gravel board, or row of bricks or blocks, will lift the timber off the ground and reduce damp and rot. I don't think foamed concrete is durable. Do not let the timber rest on the damp bricks.

Remember to include an 200mm opening for hedgehogs.

If you paint the concrete with masonry paint, you can blend it in with the fence srain. I use bitter chocolate paint and dark brown stain, but tastes vary.

I used 10mm galvanised studding, and it rusted very badly inside the concrete fence posts, I use stainless now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back