Fence ownership query on my property

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am wondering if anyone can advise which fence section(s) are likely to be mine? I am the homeowner.
See attached.

All sections could do with being replaced to be honest, most of the posts are rotten at the base and have had extra wooden support posts fitted.
During storm henk the wind managed to blow over the (vacant, for sale) neighbouring properties back fence, which, as this is one long section forms part of my fence too. Because of this when their fence came down it pulled some of mine down with it. I have managed to put my and the neighbours fence back up and temporarily hold it with ratchet tie down straps to trunks of trees. This will hold for a brief period until I can get a quote for replacing the fence, however I dont want to be paying to replace parts that are not actually mine.
It is more complicated with the vacant neighbours property as I asume they live abroad and I have never met them, they had tennants for the last 4 or so years who moved out a few months ago and now the property is on the market. I guess i will need to try and contact them through the estate agent, i doubt they will be wanting to spend any money on the property.

I was lead to believe that if the fence was the resonsibility of the owner, they would have the 'good' side. All of my fences show what i would consider to be the 'bad' side, with the the horizontal braces showing as well as the vertical slats.

I guess to get a difinitive answer i would need to refer to the deeds? But how do i get a copy of my deeds? On all three houses i have purchased/sold I have never been presented with or told where I the deeds are..

Thanks for any advice.

IMG_7981.PNG

IMG_7979.PNG

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The only way is whether it is stated on the deeds to the house.

it more often than not ends up relying on neighbourly goodwill, which isn’t always terribly abundant

Good or bad side makes no difference, whoever puts the fence up can have what side they want. You can purchase copy of deeds for any site from government web site. In future when you buy a house tell your solicitor to photostat the deeds.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back