13 Sep 2023
Reaction score
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I share a boundary fence on my front drive with a neighbour, the fence was built by the previous owner of my property and I’ve been maintaining it but it has rotted beyond repair. I intend to replace it at my own expense as I know my neighbour will not contribute anything towards it , do I need to give my neighbour notice that I want to do this? I’ve checked my deed and it says how all walls and fences are party.

Sponsored Links
I’d just tell them.
my fence is mine, but I told the neighbours as I might have needed to stand on some of their garden

with yours, if you are paying, just say that it’s looking tatty and needs doing. They might offer money or help (or both)
Sponsored Links
fair will notify them, I just wanted to check whether it was a legal requirement or not.
Do your deeds specify whether you have right of access to the neighbouring property for boundary etc maintenance? (Ours do).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links