Fence Boundary

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My neighbour is showing no interest in maintaining the boundary for which he is responsible as shown on the house deeds. The previous owner to my house erected fencing which is now falling apart. If I replace the fence (which is on the boundary line), I assume that the fence will belong to me and he will not be able to paint it or otherwise?

Is that a safe assumption?

Could he object to me erecting the fence, even though he has shown no previous interest?

Sponsored Links
Put the fence up entirely on your own land with the face abutting the boundary. It's then your fence on your land and your neighbour should not paint it, attach anything to it or otherwise interfere with it.

As above.

You could erect a fence on the boundary with the agreement of your neighbour but they might not agree. A problem is that in doing so you might later claim that obviously the fence is on your land because you paid for it, so effectively land grabbing. Not saying you'd do this, but it is one reason not to allow someone to erect a fence on a boundary for which someone else has responsibility.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back