Fence Panels - Filling the Gap

rvp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone know the best way to sort the gap out between the panels? I've just replaced the panels with 6ft ones but the posts are only 3 ft.

I know ideally replace the posts full stop but don't want to do that as they would be hard work getting them out.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Did you shorted any panels? Unpick the offcuts and use those.

Sponsored Links
Copy the shape of the concrete in wood using post and strips nailed on. slide down in the gap from above. Paint both wood and concrete to blend in

first strong wind is likley to see it lean and fall:eek:
you need a minimum 20" in the ground for a 6ft fence in a good concrete base up to 24" for a 6ft 6" fence

first strong wind is likley to see it lean and fall:eek:
you need a minimum 20" in the ground for a 6ft fence in a good concrete base up to 24" for a 6ft 6" fence

I hope not :unsure: my previous - all be it 5ft fence lasted ok but I know ideally I should put new concrete posts in but I don't fancy doing that, too much hard work!

unfortunately you double the size you more than double the load
theres a fair chance a 3ft panel will use a 4ft post so around 10-11" in the ground so be prepaird to repair or repost

unfortunately you double the size you more than double the load
theres a fair chance a 3ft panel will use a 4ft post so around 10-11" in the ground so be prepaird to repair or repost

Aye true that, only time will tell and a bit of wind!

I think I'll strip a panel down and screw some in the gaps .

i fully agree that 1/3 in the ground is for the worst possible and 1/5-1/4 in the ground will work in most situations but you are now probably approaching 1/7 or 1/8th in the ground so a very heavy soil a great concrete base and a not very high load from traffic or wind required to survive (y)

I'd buy some wooden fence posts and slide them down in between, painted white to match the concrete posts to try to hide the fact they are too short. Would look more like a normal fence then.

• Thanks
Reactions: rvp
I'd buy some wooden fence posts and slide them down in between, painted white to match the concrete posts to try to hide the fact they are too short. Would look more like a normal fence then.

Cracking idea that, never thought of doing this.

Cheers, will go for this.

I had a play with my new circular saw and made this up and fitted this for now, looks ok and it's made it quite sturdy :)

20170604_122910.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back