Fence panels, what treatment for long term protection?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I am in the middle of putting up some fence panels. I had them made locally at a wood merchant and the product looks excellent. I have already put up 7 panels and have 8 left to do. However I have not treated them yet and I know I need to (I have access to both sides).

I want to make sure I get the right stuff for long term protection and I am not really sure what to use.

I like the look of Ronseal Shed & Fence Preserver (Light Brown). Its £27.98 from B&Q although Amazon are cheaper at £22.36. It says it colours, waterproofs and preserves.

Is this the right stuff to use for long term protection, or should I be looking elsehwhere?

Thanks
Rossco

Sponsored Links
Sorry, forgot to mention. Mostly concrete posts, which are already in situ. I have about three new timber posts which are fitted with spikes.

Thanks
Rossco

Creocote from many DIY retailers. Only 2 colours though, light or dark brown.
4 ltrs for around a tenner. Oil based and I swear by it.

Sponsored Links
Creocote from many DIY retailers. Only 2 colours though, light or dark brown.
4 ltrs for around a tenner. Oil based and I swear by it.

I used Creocote on my fence panels last autumn, but it could not withstand the torrential rains we had over the winter and my panels now look as they did before treating :confused:

Cuprinol do a shed and fence preserver (and Wickes have a copy) which has a bit of colour, and wood preservatives, in a sprit base.

Ordinary fence stains have no preservative, they are decorative with just a coloured waxy, water-repellent coating emulsified with water. Keeping the water off is worthwhile, but if you want to protect a fence against rot, use concrete posts and gravel boards, and preservative, with multiple coats on upward-facing surfaces, knots, and timber near the ground, and let it fully dry and weather a bit first.

For added beauty, you can use masonry paint on the concrete to blend in the colour with your woodwork. This is easiest if it is all dark brown.

wooden posts rot and break, which is very annoying and a lot of work to replace

View media item 975 finished

View media item 976 preservative and paint applied, awaiting stain.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back