Fence post spacing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all.

im in the prosses of starting to build a 34ft long, 6ft high wooden fence.

First time puting up a fence and ive a query about the spacing between the fence posts. If been sold 7 posts. Does that mean its 34 devided by 5?? Is it that simple. Ive just marked the area with the spaces worked out by 34÷7 llol Obviously thats wrong as it comes up short.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please.

Many thanks. Darryl

Sponsored Links
A spacing of 8 foot is fairly common for 4" x 4" posts for 6 foot high fencing, but If 3" x 3" posts are used this could be reduced.
When there's a gale blowing, is the time you will understand how much pressure fence posts are put under, but a lot depends on how well secured they are to the ground, how solid (to wind) the fence panels are etc. ...pinenot :)

Thanks for the reply. Its 4x4 posts, 8ft long. The fence wont be to exposed to the wind is it will be sitting in front of a 5ft wall.

So my post spacing will be 34ft÷5 as the two fror start and finish should already be in.?

Thereby about seven feet spacing of 4" x 4" :D and are they being concreted in ??...pinenot

Sponsored Links
Ok got the wife involved lol and weve worked out that its 1.71m between each post lol. Phew!!!. Fingers crossed that when I get round to postcreting them in there straight as well. Still needing to quick cut some of the drive away so thats a job for another day.

Thamks for the help.

Afternoon all.

im in the prosses of starting to build a 34ft long, 6ft high wooden fence.

First time puting up a fence and ive a query about the spacing between the fence posts. If been sold 7 posts. Does that mean its 34 devided by 5?? Is it that simple. Ive just marked the area with the spaces worked out by 34÷7 llol Obviously thats wrong as it comes up short.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please.

Many thanks. Darryl
Depends on type and size of fencing used, fence panels require specific gap while feather edge does not, many types of fencing out there.?

Cheers foxhole. Its a picket / privacy fence im building. I think I was overthinking it for some strange reason but hoping its sorted now.

One post at each end leaves you with 5 posts. 34 divide by 6 as the posts will have 6 spaces between wall to wall.

Andy

sorry are you using wooden posts and panels??
if soo what your plans for fixings metposts spurs or stright in the ground with concrete fencing we mark up every 6ft and dig this is for concrete posts and gravel boards ping up a string and get a can of spray line and a 6ft rod or what ever mark up the holes and dig we bust them in 2ft deep about 1ft wide
fecning isnt as easy as you think. have you set out your grades step ect if not it will creep up and kick you in the nuts

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back