Fence staining one side only

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Looking for some advice on staining my side of a vertical overlap fence. I want to do it a different colour to what it originally was and what my neighbours on both sides have. Will this cause me a problem? I assume as its vertical overlap and not horizontal then it shouldn't drip through?

Sponsored Links
in theory......
maybe a mix of a brush and sponge to control the stuff may help.
if there is a garden shed on the other side, start there

do you have permission to paint on the fence thats not yours .??
is the other side darker or lighter than the colour you are using ??

I don’t have permission but I get on with both neighbors well, I’ll ask before I start but I’m not actually sure who owns which fence?

It’s a forest green and I’m going to be painting it in a dark grey / silver.

Sponsored Links
my thoughts are to get loads off water handy on the the other side to wash away any excess the drips will probably be minimal
the only reason i mention it was my naibour sprayed his side off my fence some years ago with dark brown it over sprayed onto two off my windows double glazed units quite a lot and he found it funny as not a big deal when i complained he laughed as not a big deal
now he was a complete -----well i will let you decide
i dont suffer fools gladly but prefer to let things slide to get on
he did rub me up as he thought as a teacher he was better but his misses was very reasonable
any way the point i am making is he may have thought he was the salt off the earth and i was being very reasonable and i was was a ferking arse lol
so we need to keep in with people make lots off badly informed choices have little actual conception to real life in a domestic situation living with neigbours

I painted all our horizontal fences last year with cuprinol garden shades last year. I used a small brush, didn't overload it when painting the gaps/joins. Took best part of 3 days for 2 coats but didn't get a single drip on the other side. Was made up! If careful with it and don't use a sprayer then all should be ok.
I did ask the neighbour first and I think general rule of thumb is the right fence is yours (so the left hand side is theirs) but it will be on your deeds.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back