Fences and wind

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

Can someone tell me whether fence panels get destroyed because the posts are weaving about hysterically in the wind or whether they will get destroyed in a windy area even if the posts are rock solid?

Two panels have recently gone in the wind tunnel area of our garden and the posts were rattling around. I'm planning to replace the posts with wooden ones into concrete instead of the metal spikes the old ones were in (just to match the rest of the fence - I would prefer concrete posts if replacing the whole fence).

Would it be better, though, to use trellis and some sort of screening material that would allow the wind through rather than the normal fence panels? Unfortunately, there is not much room for growing wind absorbing plants in front of them.

Thanks very much.

Sponsored Links
Fliss said:
Hello

Can someone tell me whether fence panels get destroyed because the posts are weaving about hysterically in the wind or whether they will get destroyed in a windy area even if the posts are rock solid?
All depends on the person who fitted them or they could be poor quality cheap panels, I prefer the forest pine panels and they use screws instead of nails! Also a 15yrs warranty, you get what you pay for
Fliss said:
Would it be better, though, to use trellis and some sort of screening material that would allow the wind through rather than the normal fence panels?
I don't know your fence layout but a trellis won't give you much privacy, there's plenty difference type fence panels which allow air-flow like below photo.

masona5.jpg

the way i extend fence panels life is 2x1" tile Baton double chamfer giving a top cap to the fence that when screwed into the posts at an angle and into the top rails will give a hurricane proof panel also screw in the panel to the post
this will happen as fence cap fails so perhaps 7-8 years in
now i will replace the top rails and drop rails [my description through ignorance]with 19x38 tile baton and the panels last well for around 20 years with no treatment the bottom off the fence rails can rot away and the panels survive as the fence cap gives full protection from flexing as that causes panel failure as the birch slices [my ignorance description again] cannot pull off the side through flexing

Last edited:
A concrete post is better than a wooden one, al least 25% into the ground. Concrete gravel boards as well, I prefer 12”
There are hit and miss panels where the panel has enough “misses” to act as a net rather than a solid object

Sponsored Links
If your garden is really windy, Google "hit and miss fencing" for ideas of how to build a fence which can withstand the wind

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back