Fencing quote sense check

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been trying to get quotes for new fencing. Almost everyone is busy for months and so only have had 1 chap come out and measure / quote. So I don't have anything to compare to...

How reasonable so these quotes sound? Am based in South east.

1) 7m of 6ft fence, the contemporary batten style and a 6ft gate, same style. There is no fence here.
£815

2) Add 20m of 1.5ft high batten style trellis on top of existing (neighbours fence). Neighbour has agreed as we on a hill / overlook then.
£650

3) 12m sloped stretch of land with a 6ft brick wall in the middle (neighbours side wall). Add 6ft fence panels where there is no brick wall and join it all up with trellis on top so it looks like a continuous strip
£1245

It seems reasonable but I don't have a clue what is reasonable for fence works

Thoughts appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Wow, did the guy turn up in a ferrari?

7m of fencing is 3 and a bit panels so 5 posts, plus postcrete. You don't mention gravel boards so I'll assume non. I'd say materials would be no more than £300-350 plus a day max to install.

Trellis part again not a huge cost on materials and easily done in half a day. That price is way high.

The last part is more difficult due to slope but Imo not £1245 difficult.

I personally think that's high overall

If most tradesmen are flat out, good luck getting someone cheaper
If its a fair price, then I am happy to pay. Not really wanting to pay a premium to get it done quicker. Happy to wait.

Just no idea if its a fair price

Sponsored Links
We paid £33 a yard for our handmade fence but that was 15 years ago so I suppose you could double that now..

50+ meters of it mind.

Wow, did the guy turn up in a ferrari?

7m of fencing is 3 and a bit panels so 5 posts, plus postcrete. You don't mention gravel boards so I'll assume non. I'd say materials would be no more than £300-350 plus a day max to install.
Gates are quite pricey and in short supply at the moment though I don't know the exact style the OP means, e.g. up to £150 for a 6' field gate, though maybe the fencer was going to build one which is a quick job for a simple Z-frame

I'd consider it high but I don't live in the south-east. Your fencer has a £300k mortgage to sustain ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back