urgent - fencing to keep out dogs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there..

At back of garden yesterday picking blackberries, a pit bull poked its head over the boundary brick wall scaring the bejesus out of me.

Garden is about 45 ft and bottom boundary is a Victorian brick wall. High on the left then drops down on the right. House behind ours is lower as we're on a hill so I imagine the wall is higher than we think on the other side hence the dog only put its head on the wall as opposed to feet so possibly.. just possibly, along with a sprawling branched tree in its way, it doesn't have the manoevrability to jump up and over. Anyway....

Any suggestions please as to how to fence off this lower section of the brick wall? The non-DIY husband suggested iron posts screwed into brick wall and then wire fencing attached to cover the height required (and then I would add some type of screening so the dog can't see into our garden. We had someone in to quote and they suggested installing a 6ft wooden fence infront of the existing brick fence for £780. He reckoned wire fencing would be more expensive. I have no clue.
Any advice what would be best, on a budget please. We know a fence would be best, though not entirely convinced it's absolutely necessary if a decent strong wire fence would suffice, but don't have the funds to fork about £780 at the moment.

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
You could use timber posts bolted to the wall with wire cables running between the posts to prevent the dog gaining access. It would be a significantly cheaper option, but the dog will still be able to see you. On the balance of probability, even with a solid fence, it would still hear you.

So are you asking about 45 feet of fencing? Or part of that?
who owns the wall?
height of wall on both sides?

Sponsored Links
So are you asking about 45 feet of fencing? Or part of that?
who owns the wall?
height of wall on both sides?
We need to fence off about 15ft in length and 2.5ft in height above the brick wall which is about 3ft at our lowest level but higher neighbour's side as their house is lower than ours. No idea who owns the wall off the top of my head.

If we went for wire fencing what is the best type to use? Trellis - yup the husband could manage that! ;)

Why not get on the phone to the old bill then?
There is no need to contact the old bill as no crimes have been committed.
A dog being curious about it's neighbours is not really a problem, especially if it cannot jump up and over.

Certainly do NOT put carpet gripper on the wall.

However to answer the OP's question - as advised above a trellis screwed to the wall can be used to bring the height up.
It does not need to be impossible to get through, just enough of a visual barrier to prevent the dog trying to get over the wall.

If it is a genuine Pit Bull, the dog is illegal.
That was the point I guess?

Thanks all.. until I see it again and can be 100% sure of its breed, currently I'm 99% as it could be an American bully which isn't illegal - then I won't be reporting anything or using any material which would case harm to man or animal!

We've now had a couple of people look and both are suggesting fencing which I don't feel is absolutely necessary. I think trellis may be sufficient and to have this covered with some sort of screening as well.. might do the trick. In the year we've been at this property this is the first time either of us have seen one of the dogs. There's a mature buddleia in front of their brick wall so the trees' lower branches also provide some barrier and hopefully prevent it from being able to manoeuvre sufficiently to jump up and over the wall.

The cheapest/most idiot proof and easy to fit is the rolls of bamboo /reeds that are primarily intended for screening.
They allow a bit of wind to pass, it is light and quick to install.

Within reason, you can trim it as it is a series of strands “sewn” together using wire. It’s basically a beach mat that you unfoll vertically. Whack a few poles (metal?) into the ground and roll it along. You can use cable ties (UV stable ones) to hold it up.

It won’t stop a muscular dog physically but might block vision.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back