Fernox protection in a sealed CH system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In my old vented system I used to change the Fernox every 2 - 3 years.

How is it done with my new CH system?

Potterton Kingfisher M F 60 boiler, with an “OSO” Unvented Water heater.
Also has a second expansion vessel (Zilmet) with pressure gauge, a fully sealed system.

Thanx nick

Sponsored Links
fernox-super-concentrate-93-181s.jpg

and a mastic gun

Thanx, on filling it with Fernox method, do you have to drain away the system first, or just keep toping it up?

Nick

HI

it is better if you release water (not full)
then using filling loop attach the GUN through
non return valve and simply squezee the tube
into the system.remove GUN reconnect filling loop
and if necessary top up water ,bleed radiators and
run CH for about 20 minutes .

Sponsored Links
Or...

Drain some water out of the CH system using a downstairs rad or pipe with a drain point on. Drain enough so that when you "bleed" an upstairs rad you no longer get water coming out from the bleed point (because water level has dropped below the bleed point).

Then take out complete screw in fitting from rad that houses bleed screw using an adjustable spanner (or you can take out complete bung at other end top of rad).

Then I use this which I made earlier:

P1010215.jpg

It's a funnel, a length of hose... and a brass part from a garden centre (one end fits onto hose and other end screws into rad).

Then pour inhibitor into funnel. Then, when done, put rad bung back in and refill system (bleeding as required).

Job done.

A lot cheaper to buy inhibitor via bottle than via the tube.

Or even better is if you fit a magnaclean then it will help protect the system and boiler and its very handy for adding inhibitors and the like :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back