Ferroli 25c Optimax boiler on the blink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a Ferroli 25c Optimax boiler which I became the 'not so proud' owner when we moved into our new house a few years back and to be unusual our system has no room thermostat, instead we have to use the radiator valves which isn't ideal. We've had many problems along the way and recently we have a new problem.

One morning the heating didn't come on as planned, after inspection I noticed that the pressure was low, I re-pressurised the system and hey presto it came back into life but then when it got the house up to temperature it stopped and it displayed 'd' on the display. A few minutes later the boiler fired up, got up to temperature and then stopped again.

I've looked in the manual and it doesn't state what the 'd' means but having read other forums and threads I think it means that the boiler is going into delay mode.

I was advised by a friend that the pressure release valve might be the problem, so I ordered and fitted a new one myself, I have never worked on a boiler before but after reading up on the process I managed to fit it without problem...unfortunately the problem still exists.

Can anyone give me any ideas as to what the problem will be and if it's something a novice like I could do?

Any help or advice is much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Generally it seems that according to the manual apart from being a lousy boiler to inherit, as long as no fault code show up (F1-F46) it is not a real problem so try either restarting it or resetting it. Any thing that switches it off and then back on again after 5 mins. If the flow and return heating pipes are very hot when it switches off do you need to reset it to get it working again if so wait at least 15 mins before you try to reset.

If your boiler is displaying D1 and after it gets to temp D2 there is a good chance the diverter valve is stuck, is the hot water OK ?

Thanks for your replies. The hot water still works fine so does that mean its not the divertor valve?

i have heard that Ferroli are the FIAT of the plumbing world so never a good start.

Could it be the expansion vessel?

Sponsored Links
Expansion vessels either work or they don't, and you can watch the pressure rise about 1/2 -3/4bar from cold to hot rads. if it rises by 1 1/2-2bar Then you have a problem. Otherwise forget it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back