Ferroli Boiler Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

I'm looking to replace my 20+ years old Ferroli Optima 901 Gas Combi Boiler.

Its a big old tank that has slowly been leaking from the input pipework at the bottom of the boiler and the tray at the bottom of the boiler is very rusty. Its looking like its around 36KW of power. It still works though.

I'm looking to buy an equivalent from Screwfix or somewhere and paying somebody to fit it - what kind of price would labour cost and which boiler do you recommend?

I'm based over in the West Midlands.

Help much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
These are the specs folks:-

Technical data (G20) (G31) Nominal Heat Input D.H.W. & C.H. (gross) 34.8 kW 34.0 kW Minimum Heat Input D.H.W. & C.H. (gross) 15.1 kW 14.8 kW Nominal Heat Input D.H.W. & C.H. (net) 31.3 kW 31.3 kW Minimum Heat Input D.H.W. & C.H. (net) 13.6 kW 13.6 kW Nominal Heat Output D.H.W. & C.H. 27.9 kW 27.9 kW Minimum Heat Output D.H.W. & C.H. 11.8 kW 11.8 kW Gas rate 3.3 m3 S/h 2.39 kg/h Maximum burner pressure 15 mbar 34.5 mbar Minimum burner pressure 3.5 mbar 6.9 mbar Injector manifold Ø 1.15 mm 0.72 mm Pilot injector Ø 0.27 mm 0.22 mm Dimensions (o/all) Height 1020 mm Width 480 mm Depth 360 mm Weight (net) 51 kg Weight (gross) 53 kg Electricity supply: 230V - 50 Hz Fuse rating: Mains 3 Amp. (main fuse) on P.C.B. in boiler F2 Amp (Fast) Electrical input 160 Watt Domestic Hot Water flow: (35°C rise) 11.4 l/min. Minimum Domestic Hot Water Flow 2.5 l/min. Maximum domestic cold water Inlet pressure: 10,0 bar C.H. Safety valve pressure setting 3 bar C.H. Expansion vessel capacity 7 litre Min. heating circuit pressure 0,8 bar Max. heating circuit pressure 3.0 bar Low water pressure switch 0.4 bar Boiler water capacity: Heating 1.5 litre Domestic hot water 0.5 litre Pipe connections: Gas 22 mm Domestic cold water inlet 15 mm Domestic cold water outlet 15 mm Central heating flow 22 mm Central heating return 22 mm Pressure relief valve drain 15 mm Min. installation clearances. Sides: Left hand 5 mm Right hand 5 mm Front 50 mm* (plus access for service) Min. height from worktop to base 200 mm NATURAL GAS PROPANE LPG Notes: * Access to the front of the boiler must be available for maintenance (min. 600 mm)

Would I be looking at the net heat output to determine a replacement?

You have 11.4 l/min. If you are satisfied with that then go with an Intergas Rapid 32kW Four moving parts, built like a tank with 13.5/l/min. You will not look back.

Last edited:
But check water hardness to see if you need to add a softener to stop it scaling

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your help folks. Yes that seems like a good match. I'm looking for something similar and built like a tank so should do the job nicely. Water is a medium hardness so may benefit from a softener.

Cheers

not all gas fitters are the same. i would advise on finding a suitable installer first and then going with what they recommend.

not all installers make money on the parts, some just earn the labour

however for a decent all rounder, price/quality etc and something pretty much any installer will be happy to install, with 7 year warranty

https://www.screwfix.com/p/baxi-630-gas-combi-boiler/672cf

or as you are happy with ferroli, as was i when i had one, they are not considered the best and ferroli knows they royally screwed up their reputation a number of years ago when they sold the domi-condense range. anyway they have now severely restricted their range and to rebuild their reputation now only offer their top of the line boiler which has a 10 year warranty

https://www.plumbnation.co.uk/site/...MImNHjuaPY6AIViK3tCh2vDApnEAQYASABEgLVYfD_BwE

Intergas is a good combi, well respected on here, only has a 3 year warranty but can be upped to 7 for an extra £150 direct with intergas.

https://theintergasshop.co.uk/inter...-rapid-32-condensing-combi-boiler-049927.html

the above boilers although smaller (slightly) in total power output, but with the advancement in technology and efficiency they do meet your meet your specs of the existing boiler,

not all gas fitters are the same. i would advise on finding a suitable installer first and then going with what they recommend.
I would advise against that. Most do not know what is on the market. Many sell what they make most money on, and/or are familiar with, which means they know what the fault codes mean. One of the best, and most advanced, boilers on the market is a Navien, who make more combis than any manufacturers in the world. See if any local man will have heard of it, never mind recommend it.

BTW, a 24kW is not worth going for in an average house or flat. It will struggle in a hard winter for deliver enough DHW. The cost of a 30kW is not that much greater.

Last edited:
I would advise against that. Most do not know what is on the market. Many sell what they make most money on, and/or are familiar with, which means they know what the fault codes mean. One of the best, and most advanced, boilers on the market is a Navien, who make more combis than any manufacturers in the world. See if any local man will have heard of it, never mind recommend it.

BTW, a 24kW is not worth going for in an average house or flat. It will struggle in a hard winter for deliver enough DHW. The cost of a 30kW is not that much greater.

you will have much better back up support if you find a decent installer, discuss with them your requirements and then come to an agreement together as to which boiler is to be installed.

A decent installer will work with you, but also has his reputation to uphold, some will refuse to fit certain boilers, not because of extra discount but because they firmly believe something is crap. The installer you want is one of principle and scruples, you don't want one that's just going to rock up, do the minimum they can get away with and disappear never to be seen again, and then the boiler "you" chose used as a get out clause for their shoddy workmanship.

for completeness for Hard-Work, a Navien NCB 34 is £897.19 from plumbase and comes with a 7 year warranty. They appear to be good and are a very large player in the states, however in the UK they have only been around for a few years and uptake of their boilers has been slow by the trade. Very little information is available about them in the real world from user or installers, so this is very much a left field choice.

or as you are happy with ferroli, as was i when i had one, they are not considered the best and ferroli knows they royally screwed up their reputation a number of years ago when they sold the domi-condense range. anyway they have now severely restricted their range and to rebuild their reputation now only offer their top of the line boiler which has a 10 year warranty

https://www.plumbnation.co.uk/site/...MImNHjuaPY6AIViK3tCh2vDApnEAQYASABEgLVYfD_BwE
The Ferroli Modena combi only has 4 moving parts. The Modena 35C gives 16 litres/min DHW which is very handy in hot water delivery. The new Bluehelix has reverted back to a plate heat exchanger and a 3-way valve. Decent boiler but very bad reputation in service and backup.

Last edited:
The Ferroli Modena combi only has 4 moving parts. The Modena 35C gives 16 litres/min DHW. The new Bluehelix has reverted back to a plate heat exchanger and a 3-way valve. Decent boiler but very bad reputation in service and backup.

the modena has been discontinued..

you will have much better back up support if you find a decent installer, discuss with them your requirements and then come to an agreement together as to which boiler is to be installed.
Read what I wrote again. Still stands. Most think Vaillant are the best boilers on the market. The best are Intergas, Atag and Navien. The rest are the equivalent to Ford at very best. The local man will dump you with an Ideal or Baxi, or if you want "quality", a Vaillant.

People on here do not laud Intergas for nothing. They even have weather compensation and Opentherm as standard, and always have done, even 20 odd years ago. No one knew what Opentherm was, never ever connecting it (recently I connect up an Opentherm stat/timer to an Intergas than must have been 15 years old). The Rapid, is the best value on the market in quality bang for buck. I would say to the customer get one of those, then get an installer to quote ignoring his brand advice. Be emphatic in insisting on an Intergas. Guys here may give a local installer.
for completeness for Hard-Work, a Navien NCB 34 is £897.19 from plumbase and comes with a 7 year warranty. They appear to be good and are a very large player in the states, however in the UK they have only been around for a few years and uptake of their boilers has been slow by the trade. Very little information is available about them in the real world from user or installers, so this is very much a left field choice.
If you are near one of Navien's service agents, listed on their web site, they are fine. Parts delivered overnight. Lots of info on the web about Navien in real world use. It does not have to be in the UK. Americans love them. Lots on Youtube as well. Plumbase are a national chain being everywhere. They also sell Intergas as well. The Navien comes with the flue, filling loop and thermostat/controller, the TOC. They use the same flue as Ideal and Intergas.

The NCB 34kW gives 14 litres/min, while the 40kW delivers 16.5. The bigger the better as DHW is guaranteed at two showers.

They are quality. No outside weather sensor or cable in the new units, as they use satellite info for the outside temperature, like your smart phone does. Touch screen displays with even the thermostat talking to you if you want. It can even be fitted outside, the only boiler than can be. One of these in the back garden would make a big difference in small box homes. Few have heard of it. If they had it could have got them out of trouble in finding a decent boiler position, like outside. Their twin pipe extended flue system uses 50mm plastic drain pipe. Only Keston and Navien have such long (110m) and flexible fluing systems.

Beware. Cowboys hide behind brands like Vaillant and Worcester Bosch. The customer only sees the brand.

Last edited:
Or get the Rapid Plus which has a 6 year warranty out of the box. Very solidly built boilers, some are still in service after more than 20 years of operation.

https://theintergasshop.co.uk/intergas-boilers/266-intergas-rapid-32-plus-049947.html
A great thing about the Intergas with the bi-thermal heat exchanger is that you have DHW backup. If the DHW flow switch is faulty you can still get a low level of hot water, until it is fixed.
  1. Just ramp the DHW temp to 65 and have the preheat on continuous. It will heat the heat exchanger giving hot water at the sink. Not a lot but fine for most uses. Turn the tap off and then it immediately preheats, then more hot water.
  2. You can have a low flow shower by turning the boiler temp (rads) up to 90C, then turn all the rads off except the bathroom towel rail. Turn the CH on. Having a low water flow in a shower will get you wet and clean. So some sort of backup.
In other boilers, if the flow switch is faulty you have no hot water at all.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back