ferroli modena 102 high pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My modena boiler has an issue with it's water pressure. I have my concerns it maybe the heat exchanger leaking but I was hoping to run it past you knowledgable chaps before make an investment.

When there is little use of the boiler just the odd bath the pressure creeps up very slowly. The other day I left the DHW tap on 20 mins and the needle crept up 1 line on the guage and did not return back down. TBH I didn't think it should move at all with just DHW.
After 2-3 hours of Ch use over 2 days the pressure goes over 3 bars but there is no discharge from the outside overflow pipe. I first noticed the problem to find the needle off the guage after not looking at it for 4 days. I drained the system down to 1 bar and noticed it has continued to creep up after the use of the CH, therefore I'm draining the system every 2-3 days down to the running pressure of 1 bar. I have noticed that once the CH is on and the pressure rises 0.5 of a bar, and when the heating goes off the pressure does not drop back down all the way and keeps creeping up after each CH use. I have checked the EV which is not flooded with water and is pressurised correctly. I fear there is a hole in the exchanger. Any ideas or thoughts or hints and tips please. Just wanted to pick your brains first before investing £360 in a heat exchanger. Also can I change the heat exchanger as a competant DIYer?

Sponsored Links
Disconnect the filling loop to eliminate the possibility of a leaking valve there.
If the pressure still increases, then it's a failed heat exchanger.

If the pressure gauge is over 3 or off the scale and the relief valve doesn't open, that will also need to be fixed.

DIY heat exchanger replacement - not going to happen.

Thanks flameport for your prompt informative reply.
My mistake. I failed to state I have already changed the filling loop incase that was the failure but problem continues.
I don't mean to be a pain but can I ask why I can't change the heat exchanger myself?

Sponsored Links
The reason is on page 31 of the manual - to replace the heat exchanger, the main burner, fan and other gas parts have to be removed. You are essentially dismantling most of the boiler.

There is also the question of is it really going to be worthwhile to spend £360 + installation on an old boiler?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back