Ferroli Modena 80E Combi

Z

Zarrafak

Ferroli Modena 80E Combi.
On DHW demand (bath 'hot' tap on) start up sequence runs to point where ignition electrode sparks.
'Power On', 'DHW demand' and 'Call for Heat' LEDs operate in sequence.
After about 10 secs the sparking stops and system goes to 'lock-out' mode ('no burner' red LED illuminates) no flame appears at ANY time.
I'm assuming if it gets this far thermostats, venturi and flow interlocks are operational, at least initially. I have verified operation of stats & venturi microswitch + fan runs OK.
When set for CH operation a similar thing happens.

Could this be:

Cheap fixes:
a) Blocked gas injectors/burners?
b) Incorrect spark electrode gap (Will this cause 'weak' sparks).
c) Incorrect gas pressure adjustment setting on gas valve (or PCB).
d) Blocked Flue (causing oxygen deficiency)

Expensive:
e) Faulty gas valve (Although, I can feel this 'click in' during sequence).
f) Faulty PCB (relays appear to operate at appropriate part of sequence).

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the gas valve to me. During the ignition sequence you need to establish whether it is opening. (They are dual solenoid as a failsafe, only 1 needs to fail). You should be getting gas to the burner. Reluctant to explain further as this job should be for registered gas engineers. New gas valve need setting up correctly.

Sounds like the gas valve to me. During the ignition sequence you need to establish whether it is opening. (They are dual solenoid as a failsafe, only 1 needs to fail). You should be getting gas to the burner. Reluctant to explain further as this job should be for registered gas engineers. New gas valve need setting up correctly.

Thanks heytesto,

BTW I had already ordered a new valve yesterday.
I'll get a 'registered engineer' to install and adjust it under my supervision.
(My own background is as a control systems design engineer with a major manufacturer)

But not actually trained in gas or have your acs then but your going to supervise a 'registered engineer' to set up a gas valve?

Best of luck :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
BTW I had already ordered a new valve yesterday.
I'll get a 'registered engineer' to install and adjust it.

Yeh, but one of the products I worked on in the 70s was the 4600/4700 series gas valves!:cool:

So,no idea about the settings on that boiler's PCB relative to the gas valve then? Thought not.

Well done and good for you,really pleased for you but best of luck telling your granny how to suck eggs.

Anyone other than a manufacturer's tech or a gas course lecturer or one of the guys in the combustion chamber who are much more experienced than I in this regard,telling me how to set up a gas valve would hear two words,second one would be off.

Even mr Honeywell himself would be told to do one.

In the 70s,dear God.

:rolleyes:

[

OK Mr Arrogant :evil: - The job's in Glasgow south side; if that's in your area. If you have the correct 'gas safe registration' do you want to have a go at it? Get in touch (not sure how this works) I'll say nothing. ;)

Nah yer alright mate. I don't require 'supervision' from someone who worked on a 1970s gas valve. Life's way too short.

stirling to glasgow`s south side (govanhill/pollokshaws me thinks) is a bit of a commute.

is this one of your tenants boilers?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back