ferroli modena 80e not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:cry:i hope someone can help,i have a seven year old ferroli modena 80e and it has been a faithful servant for as long,until four days ago when it stopped working.i reset it after all the usual visual checks,bar pressure,gas,electric etc. but it ignites lasts 4 seconds then goes out,ignites for a few seconds goes out and this continues,i replaced the ch sensor as this looked corroded and covered in some brown gunge ? i also replaced the wet case and wiring to the ch sensor as this was also corroded, but still it is firing up going out etc.on reading some of other probs. people have,my pump may not be working,it feels quite hot to touch,any suggestions most welcome!

Sponsored Links
Possibly the pump, could be an air flow problem. Could be rectification problem. I think you have done all you can in changing the very common faulty thermistor. I think you should contact a boiler engineer.

There are 5 lights on the front that will flash depending on what the fault situation is. These can be looked up in the manufacturers instructions.

:cry: thanks for advice so far,i should mention in relation to "slugbaby" reply, i have already gone through the ferroli manual fault finding charts,the only lights lit on the front panel is 4.,which flashes green stand by mode and 5. which is power "on"light. 1. only comes on when ignition fires up then it goes off when it cuts out,as rob884 suggests,i will be calling an engineer today,any advice though very welcome !

Sponsored Links
A possibilty amongst others is that the relay in the timer is just to say making a contact. Joining the wires that go to 3 and 5 on the timer will take this relay out of line and at worst will eliminate it from the list of possible causes.

After that as stated by rob884 you would need an engineer to determine where the fault lies. On my hit list would be the fan, flue, air pressure switch, PCB and flame sensor arrangement. A re-check of the temp sensor and wires and confirmation of correct polarity would also be in order.

:) thanks guys (assuming you`re male !) for all the advice,slugbaby you`re on the right track!,the engineer called today and guess what? the air pressure switch is faulty ! at the moment i have hot water and central heating if i pull the boiler casing forward,it goes out/off if i push it back.this is only temporary until engineer returns to give it a full diagnostic on wednesday(earliest he can come) he`s a friend of a friend etc. so can`t complain, at least i can wash and keep warm ! so things are looking promising !i will update you after he calls,thanks again you`ve been the light at the end of my very dark (and cold !) tunnel.

That implies the APS is working!

The fault will almost certainly be with the fan/venturi !

Tony

I'm a little corncerned about the 'pulling the casing forward' part of what you said.
Do you mean ? :-
1 The white outer casing
2 The lower front panel with the electrics in it
3 The combustion chamber cover
4 Something else

My alarm bells ring loudest with number 3 . The combustion chamber cover looks like a giant roasting dish in a vertical position and has the window on it where you can see the flame. This should be screwed with 4 screws on to the combustion chamber. If this is at all loose then it is possible that the fumes from the boiler could get into the room.

Talking of stuff 'in that area'

A few weeks ago I had a mini spate of boilers all behaving like this and all with the same problem. The inner flue had disconnected itself from the flue elbow. The flames lifting up off the burner as they were seeking air was the clue. On the boilers I was playing with I could see the fault by looking down the end of the flue with a torch.

Flame lift could also be an indication of a failing fan or blocked flue.
Do your flames lift off the burner?

no need to touch the casing,if a venturi prob remove one of the rubber bungs at the top of combustion cover their should be two,do not use the boiler in this condition ;) as it could be harmful

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back