Few initial questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

My first foray into the building world, on a budget so want to do as much work myself as possible including sourcing materials.

Firstly,

what are the u values and how do they work, the higher the better??

secondly,

I am considering Crown diotherm slabs instead of Kingspan due to cost, which gives the better insulation for a total 100mm cavity filled fully.

I have read, I think, that the U value of CD slabs is .0034 and Kingspan is .0023, which is best??

Many thanks from a newbie, lots of questions to come I'm sure.

Graham

Sponsored Links
Have been doing some more reading and as you say I got it the wrong way round.

Is there a maximum figure for building regs, I will be doing the brick-dritherm (32)-thermalite block-plasterboard and skim method ??

Thanks,

Graham

Each element of the building such as the walls, roof, floors, windows etc have a U value that should be bettered for regs.
However there can be a trade off if the insulation is increased in the other elements in some cases.

Sponsored Links
U values are for a given element (eg a wall) and are made up from the k values of the individual components, and the wall is designed to achieve a certain u value by selecting certain materials, not just using a certain insulation

You can't use Kingspan in a full fill cavity.

Foil faced board such as Kingspan is roughly twice as efficient as quilt for a given thickness. But is also more difficult to use for cavity walls, especially for diy

Thanks for the help, didn't know kingspan and the like were not for full fill. What is the bldg reg document I obviously need to read please??

Graham

It's not to do building regs. Its to do with the fact that it's solid sheet insulation and needs an air cavity

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back