Few questions on Regs for final certification.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

Any info you might have that can help me with the below questions will be gratefully received.

Just about to try and get final regs signed off on a 5m rear and side extension. Its been a bit of a labour of love after starting back in 2017 we just never quite finished it till last month. Its been 90% complete the whole time just now need to get the paperwork.

Inspectors have emailed me to say they are not doing site visits as per covid rules so photos need to be submitted. Took 100s of photos thruout the build so pretty covered for that but have noticed when ging back over the pictures the builder didnt fit cavity closers to where my 8m bifolds were installed. they were purchased and i can see them in the photo sitting outside on the ground but looks like the door fitters have cracked on and installed the aluminium frame without them. Inspector has listed that he wants a photo of installed cavity closers. Will this be a big issue if i say i dont have a picture? obviously its a pain they were not fitted but is that a fail on getting sign off? The doors themselves have a 70cm overhang extending from the roof over the entire run of the door and side walls so it never gets wet when they rain. does that help?

Second question. side extension has both bathroom and utility rooms both with good size electric Velux windows. Inspector wants to see pictures of extraction fans in both rooms. Have searched the regs and it would seem from my reading that the windows are enough? is this correct or do i need the fans as well?

thanks again for any guidance.

Sponsored Links
Cavity closers are not a statutory inspection, if you say you haven't got any pics there's not really much they can legally do.
Both rooms require mechanical vents.

Cavity closers are not a statutory inspection, if you say you haven't got any pics there's not really much they can legally do.
Both rooms require mechanical vents.

Thanks for the info. So just so I'm clear large opening velux windows in both rooms will cover 'mechanical vents' as far as building regs go?

If they ain't coming out to inspect, ask for a refund of the "site inspection fee". :rolleyes:

And photoshop some photos as required.

I have considered the photoshop route.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the info. So just so I'm clear large opening velux windows in both rooms will cover 'mechanical vents' as far as building regs go?
No, mechanical vents normally means powered extract fans, though you can use passive stack ventilation but this is rare, I've only seen it used twice on existing dwellings and that was on my own property and one of the lads I worked with installed one at the same time.

No, mechanical vents normally means powered extract fans, though you can use passive stack ventilation but this is rare, I've only seen it used twice on existing dwellings and that was on my own property and one of the lads I worked with installed one at the same time.
Thanks for clearing that up. The words in the regs are very unclear sometimes.

While I'm going is there a minium distance between a boiler flue and kitchen extractor outlet on the outside of the property. Obviously can't be too close as don't want carbon monoxide leaking back into the property but my only option to vent the extractor is about 70 cm from boiler flue on a outward 90degree attached wall. Would mean both outlets being on a different walls and you can't see one from the other if that makes sense?

Finally. can i run bathroom extractor fans onto same ducting that the kitchen extractor uses? the extractor exits right above the bathroom and utility through a disused cupboard to the outside. would be a relatively simple job to duct into that exit point.

Not if you want the fans to work properly, or not push extracted air back into the other fan

Would the velux active package not count if you set them to open automatically when excess moisture is detected.

Would the velux active package not count if you set them to open automatically when excess moisture is detected.
Understood thanks.

Such a pain in the..... not sure how I could set them to open automatically. the velux are huge. Shame I still need a fan.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back