FIAT PUNTO 1.2-OVERHEATING?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello all,

I have recently noticed that the oil gauge/dial goes over the halfway point, I checked to see if I have got enough water, I had enough water, but noticed that the colour had changed to a porange/rusty colour. Could this be causing a problem, and if so, what do I need to do?

thanks in advance

mo

Sponsored Links
No the colour is normal. You can drain the water out and then flush out
with Rad-Flush, and refilll with a summer coolent.
If the temp is around half way it should be ok, unless it used to be so much lower.
QF

Asssume when you say "oil gauge/dial" you mean oil pressure and not oil temperature ?
If so,a low reading is of more concern than a high one.

If you meant water temperature,cars normally run at a slightly higher cooling system temperature when the weather is warmer (do we still have "summer" ?) as ambient (outside) temperature is higher,and the heater is more likely to be turned off.

Puntos are prone to blowing the head gasket, this could result in the car overheating as it may be leaking compression into the cooling system. Hope your problem is something else as the head gasket isn't an easy job.

Sponsored Links
I have one of these and twice now I have had the red temperature light come on, I checked and found I was'nt losing much water at all. My brother in law (an ex alfa mechanic) told me it was nothing more than the 'o' ring seal failing on various cooling hoses, firstly one of the two small hoses mounted on the rear of the engine compartment and then a few months later on a front hose, so check these first before getting done for a head gasket!!!

Back