Fiat Punto Cylinder Block?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I've recently had the engine changed of my Fiat Punto 55 SX. I've been told I need to let my insurance company know my new engine number - but I can't seem to find it.

In my manual it says the engine number is stamped on the left hand face of the cylinder block.

Anyone know where the cylinder block is???

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
The cylinder block is that large lump of metal which contains the moving parts of the engine. The left hand side would be the passengers side, but where abouts the number is I don't know.

The cylinder block is that large lump of metal which contains the moving parts of the engine....
Almost...... The cylinder block is the middle third of the large lump of metal........ Usually difficult to get at in situ, with the cylinder head, carying the manifolds on top, the sump underneath, the drive belts to one side, the gearbox to t'other, the radiator, alternator and starter motor in front and the firewall behind it.

A torch, and a mirror on a stick can be useful when searching for the number, which is usually either stamped into a part of the casting that has been machined flat or stamped on a plate riveted to the block.

The left hand side may turn out to be the front - the reason dates back to when rear wheel drive cars were the norm, when engines were mounted the other way around under the bonnet.

That sounds like loads of hassle!

1) If the engine has been overhauled do I really need to share this new engine number with my insurance co/dvla?

2) How can I practically find the engine number without disassembling things?

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
If the engine's been changed legitimately, why worry about telling the insurance? provided the capacity has not increased.

Wotan

You need to tell insurance AND DVLA of the new engine number. Easiest option is to tell them when the engine number is when the engine is swinging on a hoist, about to go in the car, or from the donor cars documents.

Yep - that's what I've been told - need to tell them both. I better find out from the garage that fit the engine in. Cheers,

Back