Fiberboard and Gold underlay

bzh

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi;

I live on a 2nd floor flat and I am looking to lay some laminate in my hallway and lounge.

I would like to reduce the noise passing through the floor as much as possible and was wondering if it would be a good idea to lay both Fiberboard and Gold underlay under the flooring?

Will this actually work?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Physical separation.

Mass.

Thickness of insulation.

Keep those things in mind. There is no magic insulation out there where 5mm is going to make any significant difference no matter what claims it makes.

If you float a floor over a thicker layer of insulation this will help. Or you can use resilient battens, or batten feet every 300mm approx and float the floor (thus reducing physical connections where sound can travel through).

The mass of the floor will matter, so really thin cheap laminate will perform better than thick solid boards.

It would be much more effective to hang extra layers of plasterboard on the ceiling underneath on resilient battens, plasterboard being nice and dense and the metal resilient battens acting as minimal contact.

Put down regupol multi which works great as fitted it a lot of flats.
It's glued down to subfloor so if floorboards down you will need to plywood the floor 1st.
Also use timber tech 2 underlay.

Thanks for the replies.

@AronSearle - thnaks for the advice - I have a concrete floor at the moment, also not too sure I can float the floor. I am not too sure my neighbours below would be willing to have plasterboard :)

@dazlight - with your suggestion, am I understanding correctly that you suggest the Regupol glued to the concrete floor and then the timbertech2 laid on top?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Yes that's correct. It's overkill but will work. To be honest with concrete down not floorboards I'd just use the underlay.
Or look at Karndean type flooring as glued down so won't be as noisy as laminate

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back