Fiberglass batts between joists?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm just wondering why I have seen new homes built with fiberglass between the joists on the inside (e.g. upper floor or ground floor with insulated basement below) or in internal stud walls. Is this purely to reduce sound transmission? Reason being, I'm installing wood flooring upstairs in my 1930's house, and wondering whether I should lay fiberglass between the joists for sound proofing? It seems like a substantial expense for minimal gain.

Sponsored Links
The laying of sound suppressing material between joists is more like modest expense for minimal gain. ;)

I agree the benefits are mainly for high frequency noise deadening but it is hardly wallet breaking expense. Plus it will also help reduce the movement of air.

The laying of sound suppressing material between joists is more like modest expense for minimal gain. ;)

I agree the benefits are mainly for high frequency noise deadening but it is hardly wallet breaking expense. Plus it will also help reduce the movement of air.

it's a big area, and I'd have to take up a lot of the existing floorboards is all. Just not sure what most people do? Does flooring underlay usually provide enough sound proofing?

Sponsored Links
Oh i see, i thought you were removing the existing floor boards regardless.

The answer is no. I would not rip up floor boards or drop a ceiling just to install acoustic insulation.

I would however, consider fitting it if the floor void was open.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back