fibre cement roof - overclad

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a fibre cement roof on my garage (4m x 6m) that is nearing the end of it's life; crumbly, cracking etc.. Allegedly it's been there around 20 years.
I have been patching with the black fibre painty stuff ....

I kinda need a good insulating roof (which it is) but the cost and aggravation for removal and disposal and fitting more fibre is sizable.
Of course, roof removal (by myself) requires a nice day or two (stuff in the garage which I cannot easily remove but could cover) and they rarely coincide with my time off work and any planned skip for disposal.

My mate (and some companies) recommended over cladding with glavanised sheet , in the same profile. Seemed an ideal solution, keep the insulating properties of the fibre cement and it's less hassle to fit (no removal/disposal, no roof off ) and looked cheaper.
HOWEVER, you cannot easily get big 6 profile (my profile) in glavanised .. cheapest so far is £75/sheet (and that's too long and requires cutting, by me).

Fitting a different profile, to my existing one, will look pants and be a mare to line up the ridges for fittings.

Could I use flat galvanised sheet ?
I assume the advantage of corrugated/profiled is that it limits the ingress of moisture along the joins ?

Is there any other solution ?
we fitted an EPDM roof to the adjacent workshop (same size) and it worked great - wouldn't work here though ...

cheers

John

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back