Fibre reinforced foundations instead of steel?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our structural engineer is specifying a top and bottom layer of A252 steel mesh in the footings for our extension (Single storey, on sand).

A local concrete supplier can specify an equivalent fibre mix using Adfil fibre reinforcement, which is claimed to remove the need for steel in most circumstances. They have a proper form to complete, detailing the mesh size, positions, and concrete strength required, to work from. The engineer doesn't want to allow this in their design, as 'they haven't done it before'.

Is this reasonable? Of course the manufacturer says their product is a replacement for mesh, but I'd hope that's guaranteed. I'd prefer to use a fibre mix as it will save money, time, and reduce the dangers on site.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Most fibres are added to reduce shrinkage, but may not necessarily be suitable for applications where the concrete can come under tension or shear.
Most conventional foundations don't come under tension, unless there is considerable variability in the ground; maybe that's why the SE has suggested steel mesh? Personally, I'd be inclined to stick with that.

Fibre is an aid to better crap, not foundations.

Is there a BBA Certificate for this miracle product?

Sponsored Links
Most fibres are added to reduce shrinkage, but may not necessarily be suitable for applications where the concrete can come under tension or shear.
Most conventional foundations don't come under tension, unless there is considerable variability in the ground; maybe that's why the SE has suggested steel mesh? Personally, I'd be inclined to stick with that.

Thanks Tony, a qualified second opinion is always appreciated. Just the reason given by the SE is one that really gets me - we've never done it before isn't a reason to not even investigate a solution!

I don't fully understand this?

I'm not sure, their website lists a number of ISO, EN & EC compliances, but they are a bit lost on me.
https://www.adfil.com/products/synthetic-macro-fibres/durus-s500/

:rolleyes: LOL. Wasted :(

upload_2021-11-10_17-54-33.png

Anyway, it's BBA or GTFO. I hope you understand that :cautious:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back