Fibreglass flat roof question.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a fibreglass flat roof on an a side extension and I was thinking of putting a covering of light gravel over it. My main reason for doing this is because the surface is not particularly level and has a couple of sizable water collection points - the main one being near the exit to the downpipe, which has a slight lip on it. This leads to large patches of algae/dirt etc. which is very unsightly, as the roof is visible from the 1st floor of the house and I am often up there cleaning with the pressure washer.

I was thinking gravel could level the roof out and help with the drainage.

Can anyone tell me if this is likely to work?...and whether fibreglass should be covered in this way?

Any advice is most appreciated.
Thanks, Martin.

Sponsored Links
You may want to put some sort of fleece down to protect the surface from stones if you go that route.

But the bigger question is when was the roof done and by who? If recently by a professional builder, request they come back and re-do it with the correct fall. Contrary to what some people seem to think, a flat roof should not puddle if done properly.

Hi, thanks for the advice. I will look into a fleece.

I do not know when or by whom the roof was laid as it was there when we bought the house.

I suggest getting some alternative opinions. I'm purely going from a little common sense of hard, potentially sharp stones pressing against fairly hard, inflexible covering.

Sponsored Links
No! quite simply, all the stones will do is partially hide the ponding, it will still be there and eventually mosses and lichens will get a foothold.
I don't no if fiberglass is suitable, so take this as you will, you could apply a green roof covering which would absorb the water and let it out slowly through transpiration forbye some general run off?...pinenot

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back