Fibreglass wool in open roofspace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My two daughters are about to join Brownies. One thing is concerning me though regarding the safety of the building in which the session takes place.

In the main hall there is a suspended ceiling with a few of the large ceiling panels missing. Looking up through the missing panels into the roof space it can be clearly seen that there is loft insulation material probably fibreglass wool.

Manufacturers of this product recommend using protective face masks, clothing and goggles when working with this material.

Roof spaces are always draughty and because the ceiling has missing panels the dust from this insulation can quite easily become airbourne and blown into the hall area below where the Brownies sessions take place.

Are there any regulations or guidelines stating that Fibreglass wool should be contained and away from normally occupied areas?

Would exposure to dust from this type of fibreglass material be considered a health hazard and can it cause skin and lung irritation?

Sponsored Links
Who owns/maintains the hall? It is quite common for Brownies/Guides etc to rent or share with other bodies. If your concerns are that great (and to be honest I think you are over-reacting) then why not volunteer to help with the maintenance and replace the missing panels yourself.

Remember that these are voluntary organisations with limited funds and often reliant on volunteers to help with maintenance etc. Speak to the leaders in the first instance and find out the hierarchy to get to the right people.

Or they are often village/community halls - for which the same comments apply about limited budgets, volunteers, etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back