Fibres in roof felt. Asbestos?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have builders taking down and burning an old shed in our garden. At one point the burning got a little out of hand and they burnt some roofing felt. I've noticed this has left behind clumps of fibres and I'm concerned they could be asbestos. I know asbestos was used in roofing felt in the past and I've no idea how old the shed was except that it was pretty old. I've attached a picture. The fibres are white, all roughly the same thickness and length. If I had to bet I'd say they might be fibreglass, but with kids around I don't want to take risks. Does anyone have experience with this? Does it look like something to worry about?

Attachments

• 20170702_175632.jpg
    20170702_175632.jpg
    313.9 KB · Views: 4,852
Sponsored Links
Russell Taylor, good evening,

Looks a lot like Fiber Glass.

As an aside the Asbestos Fiber that does the damage is only several Microns in Diameter,

With respect the Fiber glass you have there is likened to a Rope if compared to a far more dangerous Asbestos Fiber.Diameters.

In general terms, Asbestos was in effect "Outlawed" and prohibited from use, the generally accepted cut off date for Asbestos use in Building Products was the year 2000 [Actual date was late 1999] but the Millennium is easier to remember, at least for the bulk of the General public.

Even before the cut off date above, the technology in roof felt led to the abandonment of Asbestos in the felt in place of a more stable and easier to use Fiber glass, in effect Asbestos incorporation into felt went the same way as Old Horse Hair Felt

As an aside, this type of roofing felt was generally a paper based product with the Asbestos being on the paper base, the base was then coated in the waterproofing layers, thus the Asbestos paper was encapsulated by the waterproofing layers. The product was used generally in flat roofs as a part of a built up system.

Having been at several Asbestos awareness courses, roof felt is very far down on the list to be discussed, being fairly rare?

If you are still uneasy as regards this product or there is a load of it still left In-Situ you could get it tested just or peace of mind.

Ken

Sponsored Links
Some bitumen felt is know to contain asbestos. But you wont see the fibres as they are so small.

Those fibres are not asbestos, but that not to say that the felt was asbestos-free

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back